Data is Null Error

Jump to solution
03-02-2022 01:04 PM
BrandonA_CDPH
Occasional Contributor II

I have generated a Survey123 form using Survey123 Connect. I can't just "eliminate and add back in (which is my usual method of troubleshooting)" because I can't get the error to show on my side. Two users are both trying to test it and get the following error: "Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values."

I am using Connect version 3.13.239 and all three of us are using version 3.13 of the Field App.  This has happened on desktop and iPhones for both users.  I, as the survey owner, have had no problems at all on iPhone, iPad or computer.

I can't find any documentation showing what this error means or how to chase it down.  Any hints are appreciated. 

I can anonymize the form if needed and post, but right now it has some internal references that make it harder to share publicly.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
BrandonA_CDPH

Thanks @joe . I’ll take a look at the geometry specifically. Trying to make things easier on the users and may have gotten the computer part all confused.

0 Kudos
BrandonA_CDPH

Thank you all for the assistance.  To conclude, this is what happened.

I had a repeat with a geopoint question. The lat and long from those points were joined together to give the geoshape for the main entry. Problem was, if the user only entered 1 or 2 points, there was not an area and the geometry was invalid (null) for the main entry.  This threw the error.

I didn't get this error because I knew it needed an area and used the map in the geoshape question to override the geometry to an area.

Long story short, if you have geopoints joining to create a geoshape, require three or more points or have another method to stop the invalid geometry.

Took me a while, but I got it! Thank you @joe and @abureaux for taking the time to comb my long xls file and help me see the light on this one.

0 Kudos