CSV import with select_one questions

07-18-2019 01:33 AM
SimonLange
New Contributor II

Two years ago this question was asked in the forum, now I am facing the same problems. Has there been anything updated in the last versions of Survey123 to deal with such problems?

" I've a CSV file with a list of ID numbers. What I'd like to do is to read the column ID from the CSV and load all the values in a "select_one" combo on my form in Survey123.

I know how to read the CSV file using "pulldata" function and "calculate" field in my XLSForm to retrieve values according to a key, but in this case there is no key: I just want to load a list of data reading an external file, instead of copying all the data in my "choice" sheet of the XLSForm."

Thank you all for any suggestions!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdilsonFurlani
New Contributor III

Hi Simon

Have you tried the "external choices" option? (take a look at "Cascading and external selects—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS"). This option creates a CSV file named "itemsets.csv" in the media folder, which can be used by Survey123 in "select_one_external" questions.

After creating this file, you can fill it with your data to be used in your questions. Remember that, "select_one_external" only works if a "choice_filter" is set.

0 Kudos
IngridAldridge1
New Contributor III

Agree with Adilson.  The external select is your best option there.  Keep in mind it works really well especially for really large select lists but it is a little slower so you need to balance if the initial pain of the set up is worth the users delay later on

0 Kudos