Select to view content in your preferred language

Critical location error! Data loss as a result

05-01-2023 09:08 AM
SusanWS_nysm
Occasional Contributor

Dear all,

I have a very simple, active survey that has been in use for several years (and is updated occasionally) for finding isolated archaeological artifacts.

Never had a problem until last week - two people, using the survey during the week of April 24th through today (May 1st) have collected information in two different parts of New York state - eastern and western locations. However, even though the map location in the survey on their telephones indicated they were where they were supposed to be, each individual survey in the online database has the same lat long:

43.118133 Lon: -73.56873

Did something happen last week? A disruption in service? Is there a recommendation for troubleshooting here?

The locations are critical, as the objects have already been recovered.

Thank you,

Susan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SusanWS_nysm
Occasional Contributor

Addendum to the posted problem:

I just went out myself and created a couple of dummy records using the same Survey123 survey.

When I got to the map question, the default map was set to a point that I know to be:

I refreshed my GPS and the map moved to my correct location, and I was able to complete the entry with all the correct location information.

HOWEVER, when I went to complete a second survey, the map AGAIN defaulted to a point at:

The data that was collected last week was done by volunteers, who, though completely familiar with the app, did not think to refresh the map. It is still a significant problem, though -- the map is "sticking" to a location several hundred miles away from where the information was being collected.

Any thoughts on why this might be happening and how to fix it?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
SusanWS_nysm
Occasional Contributor

Second addendum (posted here with a sheepish grin):

I was able to work through and fix the problem – apparently the last update of app, changed the default settings for the map (an option that wasn’t available before). I've reset it to use to try and use the device's location. AND, I was able to recover the correct location data from the geotagged photographs 😉 – WHEW!

Thank you,

Susan