Select to view content in your preferred language

Create GeoPoint From Lat & Long Numeric Field Collected In a Survey

Jump to solution
05-03-2023 09:17 AM
GregReinecke
Frequent Contributor

Hello All.

I have created a survey using Survey123 Collect.  I have given my team the ability to enter a latitude and longitude numeric value via the form.

FieldInput.png

and I'd like the points to be visible on my AGOL web map.

I am NOT using the map interface approach (which works for 99.9% of my projects) and I won't go into the details as to why not 🙂.  The map interface approach would look like this 

MapInput.png

I really just want to know if or how to get a point on a map using the manual entry Lat/Long fields vs doing it the more typical way via the map based interface.  Could this be based on a calculated field in my excel spreadsheet using Connect?

Thanks so much in advance.

GR

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Attaching an XLSForm as an example. Hope it works for you.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Attaching an XLSForm as an example. Hope it works for you.

GregReinecke
Frequent Contributor

Ismael,

Thank you so much but still a small challenge.  I added the geopoint type and referencing my names for lat and long as you instructed.  When I ran the survey it popped up a map at the correct location!!!!

geopointupdated.png

However when I opened my webmap the point plotted in the spot "for lost points 🙂".

geopointupdatedwhenplotted.png

The next time I submitted, I click on the map pin this time which opened up this window

geopointupdatedafterclickingpin.png

and I clicked on the checkmark in the lower right corner. That added another point off Africa as well.

It all looked like it would work perfectly but it didn't seem too. Any other guidance would be very helpful.

Thank you for the amazing support either way.

GR

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share your XLSForm? You can include it as an attachment in this thread.

0 Kudos
GregReinecke
Frequent Contributor

Ismael

I really can't as it's part of a larger project. That said, other than the geopoint getting plotted in the incorrect place the survey works great. So I simply removed all the other parts of the survey (deleted all the rows out of the .XLSX file except those needed for the coordinates and geopoint), created a new form, ran it and the geopoint plotted perfectly.

The difference between the full survey and the coordinate only survey is:

1. The full survey as many groups.

2. The geopoint calculation is in the middle of the full survey (which doesn't plot correctly).

3. As a subset survey where the geopoint calculation is at the end in its own group it works. The subset survey has the coords assigned, the map pops up and I hit submit.

0 Kudos
GregReinecke
Frequent Contributor

I spent some time simplifying my survey so it includes components I use, collects the geopoint info but still plots the point at 0,0. I have attached the .xls spreadsheet if anyone is interested. Stumped.

0 Kudos
GregReinecke
Frequent Contributor

Here is another look at the geopoint location in the concatenate formula seeming to be correct but still parsing out to 0,0.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

@GregReinecke  I am not sure what is not working for you. I took your XLSForm, published it, and tested it.  As far as I can tell, it is working good. See animation below.

Point.gif

GregReinecke
Frequent Contributor

Thanks again for sticking with this. In the end, I pulled all the content from my excel file (old version for sure) and pasted it into your excel file (new version) and it all worked well. Perhaps during that process I fixed an error on my side. Either way your help is so very much appreciated!!!!!

0 Kudos