Select to view content in your preferred language

Coordinates Saved from Null Geopoint Instead of Non-Null Geopoint

Jump to solution
02-10-2021 01:52 PM
SkylerKasko
New Contributor III

I have a survey form with two geopoint questions. The first has bind::esri:fieldType set to null, and the second has the fieldType left blank. When the survey is submitted, I would expect the coordinates saved as the feature's center, e.g. the point that shows up one a web map, to come from the second Geopoint. Instead, when I submit the survey, it always shows up in the web map at the coordinates of the first, null, geopoint.

I have attached a minimal example: an XLSForm with only two questions, null_geopoint and saved_geopoint. As explained above, the feature produced when the survey is submitted appears at the coordinates provided for null_geopoint, rather than at the coordinates provided for saved_geopoint.

I can fix this by switching the order of the questions. So, it appears that the survey is always saving the coordinates of the first geopoint question, rather than the expected behavior of saving the coordinates of the non-null geopoint question. In the actual survey I am working on, through, it is not feasible to switch the order of the questions. Is there a way to get Survey123 to save coordinates of a geopoint question that is not first as its center?

I'm publishing the survey with Survey123 Connect version 3.11.123 and submitting it with the field app version 3.11.164.

Thanks, Sky

0 Kudos
14 Replies
SkylerKasko
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User,

I logged the bug via the Esri Support site. I do not have a record of receiving any email or correspondence after submitting the bug.

Best, Sky

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @SkylerKasko,

I would suggest you contact Esri Support to follow up, as for me to look into it further I would need a case id or BUG number?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
SkylerKasko
New Contributor III

OK, thanks for the suggestion to contact Esri Support. I cannot provide you with a BUG number, unfortunately, as the entire point of this discussion was to discover what the BUG number was.

Best, Sky

0 Kudos
DuncanKinnear
New Contributor III

Hey, just wondering if this has got any further?

I have the same issue, where I'd like my child point features to default to the parent location, apart from certain site types where I'd like the user to be able to update the child location. I can get around this by having the child geopoint visible on all site types, but the more elegant solution would be to have a null geopoint in the background to do a calculation, which currently doesn't work. Or is it possible to control visibility of a geopoint question based on previous answers?

Cheers

Duncan

0 Kudos
SkylerKasko
New Contributor III

I'm not aware of any developments on this, but depending on the details of your form one possibility may be to put the null geopoint you're using for the calculation later in the form than the geopoint you're using it to calculate. For an example, see: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/save-location-with-offset/m-p/1154967/highl...

0 Kudos