Complex Survey- Side by side selecting options !!

Jump to solution
01-28-2022 08:20 AM
Hamg
by
New Contributor II

Hi, 

@Anonymous User 

@DougBrowning 

@ZacharySutherby 

@DerrickWestoby 

@Katie_Clark 

I want to get the expert opinion on this survey that I have to make for my Fish and wildlife department. i am fairly new with Survey 123 so I am hoping I could get some help starting the survey.  

please check the uploaded file its a MS Word file and ideally I would want to take the survey (check the attachment) and make it in Survey 123 ideally in the exact form. 

Hamg_0-1643388519593.png

Thanks in advance for the help.. 

H

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DerrickWestoby
Occasional Contributor III

The format for multiple relevant criteria

${integer1} < 1 and ${question2} = 'no'

${integer1} < 1 or ${question2} = 'no'

As seen here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey123-multiple-relevant/m-p/856131#M248...

For your other question, you're looking for "cascading selects"

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-choice-filters/ba-...

View solution in original post

DerrickWestoby

Sorry, this is a really quick answer - 

You could build  your form so that each species has it's own "group" and related questions (such as needs_met_moose, needs_met_salmon, needs_med_duck), etc

or

You could build your form with a "repeat" so that each new record in the repeat has an option to select a different species and then answer the same questions for each species. 

Avoiding the use of "repeats" will probably make the data a little easier for you to use however you want without making it too complicated. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DerrickWestoby

Hi @Hamg , 

This is a great starting point since they've pretty much laid out the structure for you here.  My input would really depend on how you're planning to have people fill it out. 

Are they going to be using the web form? Mobile app on their own device? Mobile app on a F&W tablet? 

Hamg
by
New Contributor II

Thanks @DerrickWestoby for the quick reply, for now i think we gonna send it out to the citizens as a web survey by sharing a link.. 

0 Kudos
DerrickWestoby

Here's a quick and dirty XLS to get you started, @Hamg 

There's a lot you could do to enhance the survey, like making use of geopoints in various ways, adding options for people to fill-in "Other", adding graphics to the options, utilizing webhooks, etc.   

If you're just getting rolling with Survey123, it might be a good idea just to keep this one very simple and only collect the needed information.  

0 Kudos
Hamg
by
New Contributor II

This is great @DerrickWestoby and @Katie_Clark  , thanks for the help.

I have done putting in all the survey options in the form, now I am getting into the nitty gritty of it.

so my question is HOW CAN WE HAVE 2 COMMANDS IN ON RELEVANT  CELL FOR ONE QUESTION, As you can see in my xlsform for succesful_harvest field if user selects NO than I don't want the rest of the questions for that group to appear.

My 2nd question is for the Fish section of my survey, there are different options for each fish type in question 1 how can I make my form so that if user selects Chum SALMON those option pops up but different options for other fish species. 

Its been a fun day learning Survey123 🙂 

Thanks 

H

0 Kudos
DerrickWestoby

The format for multiple relevant criteria

${integer1} < 1 and ${question2} = 'no'

${integer1} < 1 or ${question2} = 'no'

As seen here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey123-multiple-relevant/m-p/856131#M248...

For your other question, you're looking for "cascading selects"

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-choice-filters/ba-...

Hamg
by
New Contributor II

Hi @DerrickWestoby 

@Katie_Clark 

So I am kind a stuck with this one scenario where a user can have 2 different wildlife or plants or fish harvested at the same time, so survey should be able to register answer from individual species separately. like # make Moose was harvested was 1 but lets say # of Male caribou was 2 and Household needs met is SOME for Caribou. At this point there is no connection between each species and the questions asked. 

Hamg_0-1643664094070.png

Hamg_1-1643664273072.png

0 Kudos
DerrickWestoby

Sorry, this is a really quick answer - 

You could build  your form so that each species has it's own "group" and related questions (such as needs_met_moose, needs_met_salmon, needs_med_duck), etc

or

You could build your form with a "repeat" so that each new record in the repeat has an option to select a different species and then answer the same questions for each species. 

Avoiding the use of "repeats" will probably make the data a little easier for you to use however you want without making it too complicated. 

Hamg
by
New Contributor II

Thanks @DerrickWestoby 

I have used Repeats and its performing exactly the way i wanted it to perform. Thank you very much for all your help. 

Regards 

Hussain

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

First off, wow can't believe I was include in this list of "experts"! haha

Anyway, good news is that while there's a lot of info on these sheets, it seems like the survey itself will be pretty simple. A few suggestions/recommendations to get you started based on my understanding of the "flow" of the data collection. The Esri documentation on this stuff is pretty good so I recommend looking there for more information.

• Use groups or relevant questions (dependencies) to break the survey into different sections for the various animals. That way, the first question the user will answer is what animal they want to record data for, and then they can answer the questions from each column title that you have in the word doc.
  • For almost every question, you'll just use select_one or select_multiple (whichever is more appropriate) question types with the options from the form to select from. 
  • For the "Successful HARVEST" question, I would add another dependent question that only displays if they select "Yes". They should be integer fields for the user to enter the number of males/females they harvested.
  • You could potentially include the animal silhouette images in your survey if you store the image files in the media folder of the survey. 
  • For the text "Check all that apply" or "Check one", use the Hints column of the XLS Form
  • You can use HTML tags to make text italic, bold, or even change font color for text in the survey (could be great for the Hän language (did I get that right?) animal names to display next to the english names!)
  • For the Comments/Observations question, I recommend using a "multiline" appearance and be sure to extent the character limit if you think the user will need to enter a lot of text
  • Lastly, I recommend looking into Feature Report Templates for generating reports automatically through the Survey123 web interface

I think that should be a good start to push you in the right direction 😉   Happy survey building!

Best,

Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos