Collecting Multiple Map Data in Survey123

3 weeks ago
WisAa
by
New Contributor

Hello, 

I am attempting to collect data in a Survey123 on bicycle commuter habits. I am attempting to collect up to 4  geopoints: Start Point, End Point, and up to high-risk locations. 

Users will select each point on 4 different maps/4 different questions. 

I have set up repeats in Survey123 Connect, and have a UUID for each repeat. When I collect survey responses, only the initial map data point is collected. I have successfully set up repeats in Survey123 Connect in the past to collect multiple locations, and believe I followed the same process this time, but am not getting the result I'm looking for. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you share your form spreadsheet?

If the geopoint is inside of the repeat by itself, this should work out just fine. Having multiple geopoint questions inside of a single repeat won't. Not that you couldn't have multiple shape columns in a database, but most GIS tools are built assuming there's either a geometry column or there isn't, and you run into problems trying to do multiple.

If you broke out the different points into their own repeats, I do think it could work. You'd want to alter your form to enforce the repeat_count to be a specific value, so that respondents give you 1 and only 1 start point, etc.

Unless something has changed, I believe the main table needs to have some kind of geometry as well, even if it is not actually used. So you could have a schema that looks like this:

1. Main survey layer
    1. This is where most of the questions go
    2. Point geometry, but geopoint is omitted from form
  2. Start points layer
    1. Has a 1:1 relationship with main layer
    2. Point geometry
  3. End points layer
    1. Has a 1:1 relationship with main layer
    2. Point geometry
  4. High risk locations
    1. Has a 1:M relationship with main layer
    2. Point geometry
- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
WisAa
by
New Contributor

Hi Josh, 

Thanks so much for your reply. It's working better, but not quite working. For example some of the points, collect a a location, but the point saves as a spot off the coast of Africa. 

I am including the .xlsx here if you have time to take a look.

For reference, you can view the survey here: https://survey123.arcgis.com/surveys/74a0ff3c967f46b2b51edc8da0350138/collaborate

Note: there are two sets of 4 map questions, users only see one of these sets of four, depending on the answer to question 1. This is a graduate school project. 

0 Kudos