Choices name saving in Fea Service, not Label.

06-07-2016 12:25 PM
MichaelBerzinis
New Contributor III

When I fill out a survey against an existing hosted feature service, the form shows Labels like "Unvisited" but when the survey saves into the feature service, the name value is getting saved.

For example:

My status field is set up in choices as:

list_name     name     Label

Status      Status1     Unvisited

Status     Status2     Visited.

When i choose visited, "Status2" goes into the feature service table.  on previous surveys where a feature service was created, this did not happen. 

I am on Survey123 Connect version 1.4.30.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelBerzinis
New Contributor III

Found out the problem. Need to match names to the codes in your GDB domain. Duh!

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

I'm also having this strange behavior but do not understand your approach to fixing it. I have a survey that asks for weather conditions such as Partly Cloudy so in my choices sheet, the name value is PartlyCloudy because spaces are not allowed and the label is Partly Cloudy. When someone submits the survey, it uses the name value and not the label value. Is there a way to use the label value instead of the name value?

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jarom Hlebasko

the value inserted in the database is always the one showing in the NAME column of your choice list.  The label is simply used for the description, which is what the user see when selecting the choice in the field app.  This is by design, so we can support multi-language surveys where labels can be shown in different languages and still the same value (NAME) be persisted.Unfortunately, at this moment we do not support spaces in the NAME column. If you feel strongly that we should support that, please make your case in the Survey123 section of ArcGIS Ideas so we can keep this enhancement request in the radar and get to it when we see some votes.  Thanks a lot!

Ismael

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

Thank you for getting back with me. Is there anyway to somehow add spaces after the survey has been submitted? The problem I'm having is that I am creating a form and the Field Name for weather conditions read "Cloudy,Sunny,Rain,Hail" when a user chooses multiple items to collect weather conditions. It just does not look very clear or readable.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. Do you mean that you have a select_multiple question and you do not like that the value stored is a comma separated list of the choices selected?

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

Yes I have a select_multiple question and yes it would be nice to have an option where you can choose how you want it deliminated. If you could at least put a space between each multiple question value, it would look a whole lot better and easier to segregate.

0 Kudos