Choice list_names for surveys generated from web feature domains do not work

04-13-2020 09:15 AM
WillHouston
New Contributor III

With domains generated by ArcGIS Online, choice_filter mysteriously does not work. Without a choice_filter, the choices display correctly. Here's a way to reproduce this problem:

1. Create a web feature layer Online.
  2. Add two fields (example_type and example_subtype) and Create List domains for them.
  3. Create a new survey for your feature layer in Survey123 Connect.
  4. Add a choice_filter for example_subtype based on type.

Observe that no values are displayed for example_subtype no matter type's value.

1. Rename example_type_<LONG IDENTIFIER> to example_type (and the associated select_one).

Observe that no values are displayed for example_subtype, no matter type's value.

1. Rename example_subtype_<LONG IDENTIFIER> to example_subtype (and the associated select_one)

Observe that values are correctly filtered for example_subtype.

*edit: I originally generalized my field names to Type and Subtype, but those are keywords.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Will,

I'm confused - how are you able to create a fields with the name Type and Subtype - they are not allowed as it conflicts with an SQL keyword.  This might be causing more complex issues than what you're describing.

0 Kudos
WillHouston
New Contributor III

Sorry, those weren't actually my field names and I didn't realize they were keywords. I just generalized them for the example. I used fields sign_group (type) and sign_type (subtype). I'll edit the original post.

0 Kudos
WillHouston
New Contributor III

The domains generated by ArcGIS Online have hyphens in them. This Survey123 Quick Reference doesn't exactly say, "Don't use hyphens in choice list_names", but it comes close. I did a very small test where I changed one of my list_choices from "sign_dimensions" to "sign-dimensions", and the choice filter stopped working. I'll go ahead and report this as a bug.

0 Kudos