Choice Filter with Existing Feature Service Field

01-08-2020 11:39 AM
JonathanPollack1
New Contributor III

I have a survey created from an existing feature class.  The survey contains streets and houses.  I want the user to pick a street then show only the houses on that street in a second select_one.  Is there a way to do this?  I basically want to use a "Chose Filter" but drive it off the feature service rather than the Choices tab.

On a similar note can I dynamically create an "itemsets.csv" (e.g via a python script) or does itemsets.csv have to be created from values that exist in the "external choices" tab.  I want to avoid having to recreate the choices in the tab since they already exist in the feature service.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

Currently choice filters need to use choices attached with the form (either regular or external choices).  Using a feature service for the source of a choice list has been suggested in ArcGIS Ideas - Use PullData feature to populate select_one choices .  

The itemsets.csv file is initially generated by Survey123 Connect from the external_choices tab, but it can also be updated outside of the spreadsheet.  I would suggest looking at Updating the media folder of a Survey123 Form item - that blog post uses a script to update the itemsets file; this could be tied to a daily export of the addresses to be able to deliver the choice filtering to the form users.

0 Kudos
JonathanPollack1
New Contributor III

Perfect, thanks James.  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jonathan,

Just letting you know that in the latest 3.12 beta builds available on the Survey123 Early Adopter Community we have made significant improvements to large choice lists which improve the survey load time in both Connect and the field app.

On top of this there are now some new ways you can manage your choice lists dynamically and update them without having to republish the survey, meaning choice lists can now be populated and updated dynamically from a CSV file or hosted table shared in ArcGIS or directly from a feature service using the search() function. Please check out the latest announcement on EAC and test out these new beta features with the latest 3.12 beta builds.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos