Cannot Upload .HEIC photos to Survey123 field app

11-27-2017 09:56 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

After updating my iPhone to iOS 11, I have noticed that my photos are in .HEIC file format rather than the usual .jpg format.

But, these files cannot be uploaded via the Survey123 field app.

To get around this, I have reverted my camera settings to take .jpg rather than .heic

But, it would be great if this could be fixed ASAP. As, most of my clients are on ios11

THANKS

James TedrickMichael Kelly

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Geethaka

This is a known limitation of the QT framework Survey123 is built with. Once QT add support for the image format, we will add it into Survey123.

FYI here is the QT bug number: [QTBUG-63638] [iOS] Add support for HEIC image format - Qt Bug Tracker 

You have implemented the recommended workaround.

Thanks

John

brward
by
Emerging Contributor

Has this bug been fixed yet?

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I believe it has yes, when an HEIC image is attached to Survey123 it converts it to a JPG but it let's me attach them.

0 Kudos
brward
by
Emerging Contributor

Ive noticed specifically on mobile or tablets that it does convert automatically to a jpeg. But when someone attaches an HEIC to a survey through a mac it does not auto convert. Know of any workarounds for this?

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Ah that's an interesting quirk, I'm not sure, I have never implemented any surveys on Mac so I haven't experienced this. Though it makes me wonder if that also applies on Windows..

0 Kudos
brward
by
Emerging Contributor

I tried it just now and it has the same issue of not converting an HEIC to a jpeg on windows as well. It does give the error code of 'The following file types are not supported: .heic'. I made this survey through connect on 3.19 version FYI.

brward_0-1715873302234.png

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Interesting. Is this purely the web form or the desktop version of the field app as well? It might be worth contacting support to let them know, or posting an idea in the forums to make the web form convert them as well.

I see a similar issue recently posted here: Survey123 and HEIC images - Esri Community

0 Kudos
brward
by
Emerging Contributor

It doesnt seem to like it in the desktop version of the field app either. When I use a mobile device in the web form and in field app it doesnt have this issue with HEIC conversion. Its a specific issue that i will definitely bring up to support. Thank you for your time Robert!