Can we use superscript text

05-02-2017 12:52 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I have been researching to no avail the ability to use superscript text within Survey123 and I'm guessing that we cannot do so? I have figured out a formula to breakdown Longitude and Latitude pairs recorded in decimal degree into decimal minute seconds, but I cannot add the superscript "o" to the Degrees, nor can I add the " ' " to the minutes. The second was easy, because I could use the designation of ' 'N'.

This the format that I would like to store within a calculated question - 5° 14' 4.416"

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mike

You can use symbols in excel (Insert=>Symbol) to find and insert the degree symbol.

Alternatively you can copy the paste just this: 5° 14' 4.416" into an excel cell and rework into something like the following: 

${Q_Degs} + "° " +  ${Q_Mins} + "' " + ${Q_Secs}

Q_Degs = Question holding your degrees in a string

Q_Mins = Question holding your minutes in a string

Q_Secs = Question holding your seconds in a string

I hope this helps - please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Johnathan,

Thank you for the reply.

When I attempted to use your method described above within Survey123 connect; I receive this error message below.

Originally, I was attempting to use the concat function to complete this action of building my DMS values as text. I applied the insert symbol function for the degree symbol and all works fine. However, when I add in the single quote, then things tend to stop functioning. The concat functions properly when I take out the single quote within a pair of quotes.

Here is the calculation below that works

concat(${Lat_D}, 'º ', ${Lat_Minute}, ' ',${Lat_Second_Temp}, ' "N')

Here are a few that do not work -

field set to a text type with this within the calculation field - concat(${Lat_D}, 'º ', ${Lat_Minute}, ' '',${Lat_Second_Temp}, ' "N')

field set to a calculate type with this within the calculation field -${Lat_D} + 'º ' + ${Lat_Minute} + ' '' + ${Lat_Second_Temp} + ' "N'

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mike - I have attached an XLS with a couple of options for getting this working. The concatenate function does not like the apostrophe unless it is passed in as a string. So i used string("' ") and passed it in via a question: (Q_Apps)

Not very elegant, but hopefully this will get you going.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jonathan,

This worked out for what I needed it to do. I have another question for you and it concerns a 'Note' question. I have figured out a way to create a hyper link for this note field that once clicked on will open up an email with some standard text and some answers from other form questions within the form. Everything works until I attempt to send the survey to my AGOL account. I receive an code 1000 "String or Binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated."

I know that this is being caused by this Note field, because when I remove it, the survey performs just fine. However, I will get the error when I place it into the form and republish it.

My first thought was to use an "if" calculation that states if Question "Did you send the email" is equal to No then the Hyperlink would be the result. However, if the question was answered "Yes", then a string of Sent would be displayed instead.

Do you know how to get around this? it would be awesome to get this work, because then we could also create a URL link that could potentially open and send data from one survey into a new survey.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor