Select to view content in your preferred language

Can Survey123 auto concatenate text and integers/times from other fields?

Jump to solution
06-25-2017 06:11 AM
LindsayRaabe
Occasional Contributor

I have a series of questions asking if a place is open on set days where the answers are either "Closed", "All-day" or "Set Times". If "Set Times" is selected then Open and Closing time fields appear for manual input. I would like to then concatenate all these answers into a single field for use later. This would result with multiple combinations in that field as shown below;

i) "Closed"

ii) "All_day"

iii) "08:00 am - 05:00 pm" or something to this effect if I could get it to work

I've tried numerous combinations of formulas based on the "IF" scenario in the calculate and default fields with the type as hidden and calculate. I manage to get the "Closed" and "All_day" answers to work but not the concatenate part if "Set Times" is selected. I don't know if this is possible so hopefully someone can set me on the right path (if it exists!). 

I've uploaded some sample data. 

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lindsay, 

Take a look at the attached spreadsheet. Looking at Monday, I've added in 2 new rows (rows 4 & 6) to covert the recorded opening and closing times to text using help from here in the Calculate column. I had to convert them to text, otherwise the Epoch version of the time would be filled in.

For the combined field, I've used this to concatenate the times:

if(${Monday}='Closed', 'Closed', if(${Monday}='All_Day', 'All Day', if(${Monday}='Set_Hours', ${Monday_Open_Text} + '-' + ${Monday_Closed_Text}, ${Monday_Open})))

Rows 4,6,11 and 13 are currently text but changing them to hidden the process should still work! 

Carmel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lindsay, 

Take a look at the attached spreadsheet. Looking at Monday, I've added in 2 new rows (rows 4 & 6) to covert the recorded opening and closing times to text using help from here in the Calculate column. I had to convert them to text, otherwise the Epoch version of the time would be filled in.

For the combined field, I've used this to concatenate the times:

if(${Monday}='Closed', 'Closed', if(${Monday}='All_Day', 'All Day', if(${Monday}='Set_Hours', ${Monday_Open_Text} + '-' + ${Monday_Closed_Text}, ${Monday_Open})))

Rows 4,6,11 and 13 are currently text but changing them to hidden the process should still work! 

Carmel

LindsayRaabe
Occasional Contributor

Hi Carmel. Your answer looks promising. I'll give it a try and see how I go. Thank you!

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe
Occasional Contributor

Gave it a whirl and came up a treat. Thank you. Still getting my head around how the scripting works. Only problem with being self taught!