Can I perform a calculation on a hidden field, when using the Inbox (edit existing) function in Survey123

Jump to solution
04-23-2020 05:20 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Hey, 

I am using the inbox to carry out surveys on existing features. These existing features only really have an ID, and I have added extra attributes that we need populated by the field worker. 

Can I have a hidden field in my survey, that is calculated, without any input from the user?

A simple example would be a column called "survey_completed", and a calculate/default entry be stored here as 'True'.

What I am finding is each time I try to use a hidden field in an Inboxed survey, the calculate is being ignored, as the inbox is simply grabbing the data already in the table so I can modify it. So the user is currently having to populate each and every field.

Any thoughts/comments?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ben,

What you are seeing is the correct behaviour. When loading values from the Inbox, we do not automatically over-ride the values with updated calculations, otherwise the original data will be lost with no way to get it back. If the question is visible, you will see the re-calculation button appear when the calculated value does not match the stored value, so the user can manually update it. However if you make the question hidden there is no way for the user to update it manually.

You could try using a relevant on the same question, and a question previous that causes the relevant to trigger, which will wipe out the value, and when it becomes relevant again, it will update the value with the new calculation.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ben,

What you are seeing is the correct behaviour. When loading values from the Inbox, we do not automatically over-ride the values with updated calculations, otherwise the original data will be lost with no way to get it back. If the question is visible, you will see the re-calculation button appear when the calculated value does not match the stored value, so the user can manually update it. However if you make the question hidden there is no way for the user to update it manually.

You could try using a relevant on the same question, and a question previous that causes the relevant to trigger, which will wipe out the value, and when it becomes relevant again, it will update the value with the new calculation.

Regards,

Phil.

BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks very much for your comments Phil, I appreciate that.