Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I create new survey items from the child records of a repeat

Jump to solution
08-09-2024 12:31 PM
NevilleCTT
Emerging Contributor

I want to generate in another FS surveys from the child records of another FS dynamically. I am using Connect 3.20. So for example 

I have a building survey that will have a repeat for the  5 dwellings and 2 businesses in it. 

I want to enter the building information once and then have 5 dwelling questionnaire and 2 business surveys generated from this. These surveys would be opened via the inbox of the dwelling or business survey. I also want to pass the some information id information (address, apartment no etc) to the relevant survey.

How could this be accomplished? 

Nevillle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @NevilleCTT

You can point a survey to one of the related layers in a feature service. When you create the survey based on the existing feature service it will use the parent layer by default and add in the repeat layers. What you can do is remove all the questions from the parent layer and remove the begin and end repeat questions for the layer you want to target. From there you'll need to update the form_id on the settings tab of the XLSForm. Please see the Create a survey from a feature layer section of the Use Survey123 with existing feature layers documentation for more information. 

Steps 5 and 6 from this KB article may be helpful to reference. 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @NevilleCTT

You can point a survey to one of the related layers in a feature service. When you create the survey based on the existing feature service it will use the parent layer by default and add in the repeat layers. What you can do is remove all the questions from the parent layer and remove the begin and end repeat questions for the layer you want to target. From there you'll need to update the form_id on the settings tab of the XLSForm. Please see the Create a survey from a feature layer section of the Use Survey123 with existing feature layers documentation for more information. 

Steps 5 and 6 from this KB article may be helpful to reference. 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
NevilleCTT
Emerging Contributor

Thank you Zachary for the quick reply, My parent layer has some ID fields that would used help identify child records. Should I just have a copy of them in the child repeat and display them in the new survey or can I just add the entire  parent fields with the child fields?

Neville

0 Kudos