Select to view content in your preferred language

Can i avoid/lock deletion of single feature after status change?

Jump to solution
08-10-2023 06:51 AM
Labels (3)
GilMastrapa
New Contributor III

Hello. 

I would like to know if i can restrict deletion of single features after status is changed. 

My problem is this:  I currently have users that are able to create and edit points on my hosted feature layer. They use them to access url links to survey123 forms and fill info on each of them. After completion, i have a "status" column that is edited only by me. I would like to lock each individual feature (avoid further edit and deletion) after the point gets to a certain status. I hope to use webhooks as a trigger of this operation, similar to what i achieve on my s123 webhooks. 

Is there a way to achive this selective lock ?? I need to only restrict edition on those specific points , while keep the rest of the layer editable. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Gil,

Thank you for clarifying. I think this makes the workflow more complicated as while the View layer can display information without changes, if editors still have access to the main Hosted Feature Layer they can either edit their record,s edit all features or edit no features. I do not believe there is a way to restrict editing permissions outside of this.

In that case I believe you might need to copy information over to a secondary Hosted Feature Layer, which could be done in ArcGIS Pro with a Feature Class to Feature Class operation. You could use Notebooks or ModelBuilder to automate this.

Hope that helps, please let me know if I missed anything,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst

View solution in original post

4 Replies
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Gil,

I do not beleive this functionality is possible in this way, however have you considered using a View layer? You could set this up so that Survey editors can only see features that have not been marked as complete, and once these are sent in they would disappear.

You would just need to set up the view layer to only display features that have a specific attribute.

Hope that helps,

David

GilMastrapa
New Contributor III

Hello David!
Thanks for the reply. Today i already use views to separate edition and execution workflows, the latter with locked features and url links to my S123 forms. I would like for the editors to keep seeing the points , just not been able to edit them. They still need to see them because sometimes users resend S123 answers (it triggers the creation of a report that they might want to edit/fix). 
Our goal truly is to count/control the number of features that are been completed (and keep them unchanged), as it may serve as a counting stat to gauge the use of our service by our clients, in a way that it may be used for pricing purposes. 

In that sense, it would be nice to be able to lock the status of selected features. 

In what way could we achieve this? Perhaps a counting routine? But then we won´t have proof if they simply delete the features. 
Sorry for the long answer. Appreciate your input.

0 Kudos
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Gil,

Thank you for clarifying. I think this makes the workflow more complicated as while the View layer can display information without changes, if editors still have access to the main Hosted Feature Layer they can either edit their record,s edit all features or edit no features. I do not believe there is a way to restrict editing permissions outside of this.

In that case I believe you might need to copy information over to a secondary Hosted Feature Layer, which could be done in ArcGIS Pro with a Feature Class to Feature Class operation. You could use Notebooks or ModelBuilder to automate this.

Hope that helps, please let me know if I missed anything,

David

GilMastrapa
New Contributor III

Thanks for your input again, i was leaning in that direction of copying relevant features to a different layer for our internal use, triggering this by webhooks. I guess for now it seems like the most obvious solution. 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos