Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculating a value from one or more choices in a list

Jump to solution
05-02-2019 01:50 PM
DavidGilbey
New Contributor II

I am interested in assigning numeric values to items selected from a list in the choices tab, then using to calculate a result.  I assume this is possible, but am not having any luck with he syntax I'm using.  Here's my example:

Question:  Please select one of the items below

(from list name "items") 

A

B

C

D

user selects one or more values in list.

I have a separate type field called "score" in which I want to assign values to items in the list if they are checked, then calculate a value (let's say I select A and B), assign a value to the selected (A=1, B=1), and add all the values.  if A and B are selected, result would be 2.

I know there has to be a simple answer...

thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi David,

This can be done by using the selected() function to check if a response is selected paired with an if() function to assign a value when selected.  Assuming A=1,B=1,C=2,D=2:

if(selected(${q}, 'A'), 1, 0) + if(selected(${q}, 'B'), 1, 0) + if(selected(${q}, 'C'), 2, 0) + if(selected(${q}, 'D'), 2, 0)

If all choices are associated with the same value, you could use [value]*count-selected().  For example, if all choices match to a value of 1,

count-selected(${q})

is the correct function.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi David,

This can be done by using the selected() function to check if a response is selected paired with an if() function to assign a value when selected.  Assuming A=1,B=1,C=2,D=2:

if(selected(${q}, 'A'), 1, 0) + if(selected(${q}, 'B'), 1, 0) + if(selected(${q}, 'C'), 2, 0) + if(selected(${q}, 'D'), 2, 0)

If all choices are associated with the same value, you could use [value]*count-selected().  For example, if all choices match to a value of 1,

count-selected(${q})

is the correct function.

0 Kudos
DavidGilbey
New Contributor II

That did it.  Thanks.  I was using the list name and not the question name in my calculation.  Appreciate it James!

/DG

0 Kudos