Calculate most recent response from repeat

09-12-2019 08:56 AM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

I am building form where each time a surveyor visits a site they update the status in a repeat. I would like to calculate a  "current status" field in the parent table with the "status" field from the most recent / current repeat. Is this possible? If so how would I go about doing it?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the status a set size?  If so you could do a join() then a substring to peal off the last one.  But there is no find in the string so you would have to know the exact number of chars to take off the end.

That said I would suggest having each visit a form.  Having people keep editing into a repeat can, and usually does, go bad.  Plus then you get GPS (they went to the wrong location), editor tracking (when and who), etc on each visit.  Use Collector for your base points and launch from there into 123.  Then relate each visit back to the main location and it all comes together nicely.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Doug, I will try setting my status values to a fixed length and try out the join() and substring functions.

As for the individual forms for each visit, my users need to see the initial data collected on subsequent site visits so separate forms don't work. Basically I have two forms writing to the same feature layer, one for the first site visit and a second for follow up visits that can only be opened via the inbox, where all the values in the parent form are set to read only and the surveyor can only edit a new repeat, it also allows me the ability update the parent form behind the scene. This has served me well so far, I guess it is somewhat similar to your idea just leveraging the Inbox instead of Collector.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

" initial data collected on subsequent site visits so separate forms don't work"

- You would push all of that out in Collector also.  Just relate the forms back to the locations and you can see them all in the attribute table.  As soon as a form is sent it would show in Collector.

The Inbox will get crowed in my opinion.  Plus it gives you no info on how to find the location.

For us the big one was people picking the wrong location from the list.  This is hard to find because no spatial info (now you can make a repeat a FC but before table only - you made it spatial right?).  With separate forms we see right away they went to the wrong spot.  Plus editor tracking and all that.

Up to you just sharing lessons learned.

0 Kudos