Barcode used with repeat crashes in Android

05-05-2017 06:13 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We found an odd bug in the barcode data type for survey 123 when in an Android environment.  I created an app that would take a Geopoint at location and then read a barcode and repeat the barcode reader for each item at said location until the final item’s barcode is read.  The issue only happens inside the repeat function when the second barcode is read (we get the ‘error’ Survey123 has suddenly stopped); image and text data types have functioned fine so far inside he repeat function.  We tested the app on both Android and Windows 10  and found that Survey 123 crashes every time in an android (6.0.1) environment but works fine in Windows 10. We are still in the testing phase but I really wanted to roll this out by this summer when I have an intern to do all the data collection. Any help is appreciated. 

See image below (Taken from my desk top but they should convey what I have attempted, I used the Barcode sample from the example template to make the error easier to reproduce):

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael - I have not been able to replicate this behaviour on a 6.0.1 device. Could you share your XLS form with me and I will try to replicate this issue.

Additionally, what device are you using?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are using a Samsung Galaxy Tab E (6.0.1).  My excel sheet which is literally nothing more than ESRI’s Barcode reader sample sandwiched between a repeat question.  Once it crashes, Survey 123 crashes every time I try to use the barcode reader until I go into the Applications storage, clear the cache Survey 123 then restart the device.   I currently have a ticket open with tech support; so I will post if they have a solution.  Here is what the XLS sheet looked like. 

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Michael - we now have a bug open for this: https://github.com/ArcGIS/arcgis-survey123/issues/317 and are working to address it.

0 Kudos