Automatic Unique Reference numbers Survey123

Jump to solution
03-22-2021 04:57 AM
GIS_1234_KS
New Contributor III

Folks, I am looking to create automatic Unique Reference Numbers for participants that appears on the splash screen when they have completed their survey on Survey123? The participants are then required to complete a follow up survey which uses the same URN and at the minute there is not set structure to the URNs and it is difficult to match the results.

If I can create automatic URNs that appear at the end of the first survey, participants will still need to note it down but aiming for 6 figures (3 letters and 3 numbers). I am also trying to create the first 3 letters based on a question within the survey which will relate to the Council the programme is occurring.

Any help or pointers would be great, thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
UriGilad_EsriAu
Esri Contributor

Hi @GIS_1234_KS,

Not sure how to put the URN on the splash screen, but here's a suggested alternative workflow:

1. create a unique ID for the survey. This is pretty easy - you can create a guid, or you can get the username by using pulldata and join it to the date, e.g. gis1234_210324124501 (username_YearMonthDayHourMinuteSeconds). If you want it to be only 6 figures you'll need to come up with a way to shorten it, i.e. gis501 will be the first 3 letters of username + minute+seconds. If you're not using a guid you'll have to come up with something to minimize the chance of duplicates.

2. The easiest thing to do now is to present the URN to the user as a note question before clicking submit, and ask them to enter it in the next survey. Alternatively, if you would like to automate it, pull unique ID from the first survey into the seconds survey - use the method in this link

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/pulldata-with-previous-survey-submissions/m...

Hope this helps, 

Uri

If this answer solved your question or if you found it helpful please mark it accordingly to help others who have the same question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
UriGilad_EsriAu
Esri Contributor

Hi @GIS_1234_KS,

Not sure how to put the URN on the splash screen, but here's a suggested alternative workflow:

1. create a unique ID for the survey. This is pretty easy - you can create a guid, or you can get the username by using pulldata and join it to the date, e.g. gis1234_210324124501 (username_YearMonthDayHourMinuteSeconds). If you want it to be only 6 figures you'll need to come up with a way to shorten it, i.e. gis501 will be the first 3 letters of username + minute+seconds. If you're not using a guid you'll have to come up with something to minimize the chance of duplicates.

2. The easiest thing to do now is to present the URN to the user as a note question before clicking submit, and ask them to enter it in the next survey. Alternatively, if you would like to automate it, pull unique ID from the first survey into the seconds survey - use the method in this link

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/pulldata-with-previous-survey-submissions/m...

Hope this helps, 

Uri

If this answer solved your question or if you found it helpful please mark it accordingly to help others who have the same question.

GIS_1234_KS
New Contributor III

Thanks @UriGilad_EsriAu for the options, both sound really good to me and going to check the link as this may be the preferred approach to take

0 Kudos