Automated Survey123 Form Testing

3 weeks ago
RJG
by
New Contributor

Hi All,

Has anyone any experience with automating the testing of survey123 forms, either in the browser or in the native apps? 

You might want to test calculations or conditional statements to ensure that new questions or groups are displayed at the appropriate times or that question validation is working correctly and constaint messages show correctly etc.

This could be useful if you are:

• Making changes to existing forms and wanting to ensure all previous functionality works as intended.
  • Rolling forms through environments as part of a wider deployment.
  • Want to streamline testing to reduce user error and ensure exhaustive testing is conducted.

There are some tools such as Squish, Selenium and Intern that could possibly achieve this. Has anyone any experience or recommendations around the automation of this type of testing?

Thanks

2 Replies
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

I'd be interested to know more about this, typically just working on the forms in Connect works well for me but I've found sometimes once published and used on the intended device things don't quite work as expected or as they did in Connect. 

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I don't have any recommendations for this type of procedure, But I'd be curious to hear if others do. 

Honestly, I test all forms myself and I don't see that particular process ever changing. Mainly, this is because a lot of what I do has legal and safety implications. If forms were tested this way, who would be responsible is someone's arm got cut off because the "don't cut your arm off" message didn't appear when a specific selection was made? But, I also feel that automating form testing is redundant. Given that, manual testing is the only reasonable solution for my environment.