Last week I asked a question regarding 'auto updating choice list' and got some directions using 'select_one_from_file' which I was not aware of. This was great! (https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/update-choice-list-with-python-api-in-noteb...)
My main goal of using this approach is automating choice list update process through Python or overwrite csv on AGOL (added as Linked content in the Connect), not necessarily going through Survey123 Connect. Based on the comment I received, it sounded like updating CSV on AGOL will automatically update the choice list, but I do not see the expected result.
1. Survey has been published.
2. Created a csv file for external choice and uploaded on AGOL.
3. Downloaded csv within Linked Content and republished the survey. --> I can see the new list from csv.
4. Overwrite csv manually with new file on AGOL.
5. Checked the survey. The selection list has not been changed. It shows the original choice list.
6. Updated some values (name/ label) in the csv table on AGOL Data page directly.
7. Checked the survey. The selection list has not been changed. It shows the original choice list.
8. Overwrite csv automatically using the sample Python script.
9. Checked the survey. The selection list has not been changed. It shows the original choice list.
10. Republished the survey. The selection list has not been changed.
11. Downloaded csv in Linked Content (updated from previous steps) in the media folder and republished the survey. Then the list has been updated.
So this is a summary.
- Connecting CSV in Linked Content first time populated expected choice list.
- Any changes in CSV is not reflected since then.
- If I download the CSV in media folder, then hit 'refresh' in Survey123 Connect I can see the new list.
Hi. The Survey123 field app checks for new updates when you open the survey details page.
After you update the CSV, go into the survey gallery and tap on your survey. The survey details page will show with the thumbnail, description, Collect option and so on. At that moment, the check will occur and the new CSV file will be downloaded automatically if needed. Once you open the survey by clicking Collect or opening a record from any of the folders (Sent, Drafts, etc.) the new options in your list will appear.
If this is not the case, make sure you have 3.12 (or newer) installed. If it still does not work, then your CSV file may not be linked correctly.
You should not need to republish your survey for the above to work. Simply changing your CSV in ArcGIS should do.
Thank you for your response. I forgot to mention that we are actually using this survey as a web form mainly. Is this approach not supposed to work with the web form? My Survey123 Connector is v 3.12.230.
Just tested with 3.12 Survey123 app and it works fine, but we really need to get this work on a web form. Please advise. 🙂
I have the same issue the updated value in the AGOL hosted CSV not showing in my survey. The survey always shows the original list choice list. do you have any idea? The only way it will work is to download/update the linked CSV in survey123 Connet and republish...
my survey is created by Survey123 3.12.232, Apps version 3.12.277.
How did you update your csv?
when I tested by updating values from data table it did not work. But when I tried overwrite the entire csv it worked.
I replaced the entire csv by using the "update" function in AGOL
I am having the same problem where I can update the csv on AGOL and the changes are reflected in mobile versions of the surveys updated, but the web surveys are not being updated. It is brought up in this other thread: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/updating-csvs-in-agol-for-select-one-from-f...
However, I haven't been able to find a solution the problem of the web surveys not updating. @IsmaelChivite, have you seen this? Is there a solution or a workaround?
The way i could make it works is to delete the survey and redownload, then the update list will show. which is not acceptable using for production environment. user won't know when they need to delete and redownload the survey... as well they should expect all these updates are seamless.