Attributes in Survey123 geodatabase looks different in ArcGIS and AGOL ?

Jump to solution
01-27-2017 11:19 AM
FatmaŞenol
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm experiencing a strange problem when I add a completed survey to ArcGIS Online as a Filegeodatabase. There is no problem when I open a survey123 database in ArcGIS Desktop. The attribute table shows the collected data in field survey. However when I add the same geodatabase to my content on ArcGIS Online, I see choice1, choice 2, choice 3 etc. for dropdown type questions instead of selected values.
I attached two screenshots showing the attributes of the same point both in ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Online. Am I missing something here ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.

It looks like this could have to do with  the way data is  imported and interpreted in ArcGIS Online.  ArcGIS Desktop is  reading the geodatabase domains and presenting to you the code descriptions that Survey123 created. ArcGIS Online, on the other hand, is reading the values, rather than the descriptions.

The Survey123 Web Designer hides much of the complexities of building choice lists: We only ask you for the description of your values in the list. For the values, to avoid issues with non-ASCII characters we create corresponding values of choice_0, choice_1 etc  So essentially, the descriptions read the way you want it, and the actual values in the database are more  cryptic.  Very often nobody cares because the clients display the descriptions but in your particular workflow somewhere in the process the descriptions are lost and Online ends up showing the internal values.

I think that if you simply take your File Geodatabase and publish it as a Feature Service, you will end up having properly created domains in ArcGIS Online (and you will see the descriptions rather than the values). I am afraid adding your File Geodabase to My Content directly is somehow losing the domains.

If these internal values annoy you, you can alternatively download your survey into Survey123 Connect and edit the values in your choice list manually. In this manner, even if you look at the values directly, rather than the description, they will make sense to you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.

It looks like this could have to do with  the way data is  imported and interpreted in ArcGIS Online.  ArcGIS Desktop is  reading the geodatabase domains and presenting to you the code descriptions that Survey123 created. ArcGIS Online, on the other hand, is reading the values, rather than the descriptions.

The Survey123 Web Designer hides much of the complexities of building choice lists: We only ask you for the description of your values in the list. For the values, to avoid issues with non-ASCII characters we create corresponding values of choice_0, choice_1 etc  So essentially, the descriptions read the way you want it, and the actual values in the database are more  cryptic.  Very often nobody cares because the clients display the descriptions but in your particular workflow somewhere in the process the descriptions are lost and Online ends up showing the internal values.

I think that if you simply take your File Geodatabase and publish it as a Feature Service, you will end up having properly created domains in ArcGIS Online (and you will see the descriptions rather than the values). I am afraid adding your File Geodabase to My Content directly is somehow losing the domains.

If these internal values annoy you, you can alternatively download your survey into Survey123 Connect and edit the values in your choice list manually. In this manner, even if you look at the values directly, rather than the description, they will make sense to you.

FatmaŞenol

Hi Ismael, 

Thank you for tips and solutions. I'm not sure if I correctly followed your instructions  but the problem is solved  

Here is the workflow:

1. Added layers in FileGeodatabase to ArcGIS Desktop 

2. Signed-in to Organizational ArcGIS Online account

3. Shared the layers as a service  on ArcGIS Online and now I can see the descriptions. 

Regards

- Omur. 

0 Kudos
FatmaŞenol

Hello,

Today I posted a  question to  Survey123 for ArcGIS forum regarding the data table  that  looks like  empty as if survey was submitted without entering any data. I You can check my most recent post for details. I would appreciate if you could kindly suggest a solution or workaround.

Regards

0 Kudos