Select to view content in your preferred language

Asset Survey - How to best manage the Inbox for Monthly and Adhoc Inspections

Jump to solution
08-14-2024 12:35 PM
DfIRivers
Frequent Contributor

I have an asset survey, where the assets are surveyed once a calendar month; and where I also want to have flexibility to allow users to carry out ad-hoc inspections if necessary.

I've been following the conference session by  @IsmaelChivite on 'Modeling Inspection Workflows' at https://mediaspace.esri.com/media/t/1_3aw7zdrs/309413912 and have set up my inspection with an Inbox and the feature service underpinning the survey has my assets and a related table for the inspection log.

I have a field associated with my assets which has the 'last_inspection_date'. I guess I could add another field with an 'inspection_status' with values of 'Pending' and 'Completed', so that whenever the inspection is submitted, then the asset 'inspection_status' gets updated from 'Pending' to 'Completed'; (with the WHERE clause populating the inbox being based on the 'inspection_status').

But I'm still a bit uncertain as to what is the best approach to managing my surveys, that ensures at least one inspection per calendar month, and ad-hoc inspections when required.  I'm sure others in the community will have  a wealth of experience in managing asset inspection surveys, so would appreciate any direction you could provide for my use case.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

This is more of an internal process thing.

If it were me, and I needed to ensure 1 inspection per month, I'd set up an automation in Power Automate, and a linked SharePoint list (and potentially a web map - really depends on the work being done). I'd have the automation run every Monday, and then notify the appropriate person based on the date.

Again, all internal business process will likely be a little different. But...

1. Our Office Compliance program consists of monthly office inspections, annual Emergency Response Plans, monthly JHSC meetings, and I think one other thing I am forgetting. Power Automate checks the required frequency, compares today's date to the date last completed, and notifies the user if they aren't doing what they should... all that said, the automated emails are a "you're late!" thing. Generally, we try to train staff to do this stuff before the reminders go out (at least for Office Compliance).
  2. Same with our Manager Field Reviews. Managers need to do a minimum of one per quarter. So, on the first Monday of the month, the automation checks who hasn't done one this quarter, and sends a mass of emails that includes the number of days remaining in the quarter. (People always like to wait until the very end... sigh. At least the notifications are doing their job!)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

This is more of an internal process thing.

If it were me, and I needed to ensure 1 inspection per month, I'd set up an automation in Power Automate, and a linked SharePoint list (and potentially a web map - really depends on the work being done). I'd have the automation run every Monday, and then notify the appropriate person based on the date.

Again, all internal business process will likely be a little different. But...

1. Our Office Compliance program consists of monthly office inspections, annual Emergency Response Plans, monthly JHSC meetings, and I think one other thing I am forgetting. Power Automate checks the required frequency, compares today's date to the date last completed, and notifies the user if they aren't doing what they should... all that said, the automated emails are a "you're late!" thing. Generally, we try to train staff to do this stuff before the reminders go out (at least for Office Compliance).
  2. Same with our Manager Field Reviews. Managers need to do a minimum of one per quarter. So, on the first Monday of the month, the automation checks who hasn't done one this quarter, and sends a mass of emails that includes the number of days remaining in the quarter. (People always like to wait until the very end... sigh. At least the notifications are doing their job!)

0 Kudos
DfIRivers
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for providing some insights.. what I ended up doing was as follows..

- configured survey for monthly 'Scheduled Inspections' with main asset feature class and a related table for the inspection log
 - included field in asset feature class called [inspectionStatus] with domain values of 'Pending' and 'Completed'
 - Set Inbox in S123 with a WHERE clause to populate Inbox with assets where the [inspectionStatus] is 'Pending' (essentially a To-Do list for inspectors).
 - Configured S123 so that when new inspection is submitted then [inspectionStatus] updates to 'Completed'.
 - the ArcGIS Enterprise Connector for Power Automate doesn't work with our architecture, but the Custom ArcGIS Enterprise Connector does work.. but doesn't have the capability to update a Feature Layer, however was able to schedule a monthly update of 'inspectionStatus' to 'Pending' (on the 1st day of the month) using ArcGIS Pro and Modelbulilder see https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/automate-updates-to-web-feature-layers-without-scripting/

For Adhoc inspections carried out outside of the schedule, have set up a separate survey (identical to original survey) but with the WHERE clause removed.

Might also set up a Dashboard to present chart of missed inspections by month over the business year.

Thanks again for sharing your processes.