Are Workflows supported in Survey123?

02-09-2017 05:32 AM
KevinRobert1
New Contributor III

I am building surveys for our fire hydrants inspection crews. All hydrants are surveyed during the Fall (Fall Inspection Program). During that inspection, inspectors are checking if Hydrant had to be pumped, this could mean that there is something wrong with the hydrant (faulty gasket,..). This triggers the need for a follow up inspection at a later date. Is there a way to automatically populate fields in a "follow-up" survey when the "hydrant pumped" field has been checked on? In short, I would like inspectors to know which hydrants that needs to be part of a follow-up survey. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kevin,

There are a few ways workflows can be supported.

1) Survey123 allows you to have a table of data accompany a survey (see Formulas—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS  and https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/10/27/the-pulldata-function-access-external-da... ).  I think this matches your description above- an initial survey inspect all hydrants, identifying the ones that need a follow up inspection.  The data from the first inspection is exported, and accompanies the form for the follow up inspection (or if, the same form is used for initial and follow-up and is updated with the new data).  This method would still require a task list somewhere that marks which hydrants require a follow up; one of the enhancements we're planning to bring to Survey123 is the ability load that list into Survey123.

2) Another method is to conduct the initial inspection and then use another application like Collector or Explorer to provide a 'reference map' that can then launch the follow up inspection, passing information from the first inspection into the form.  See Integrate with other apps—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS  and https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... for more information on this method.  This would provide the inspectors a way to see which hydrants require follow up and act on them.

KevinRobert1
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply James, 

What do you mean by "This method would still require a task list somewhere that marks which hydrants require a follow up"?

This is the reason why I wanted something to retrieve the results from previous survey (like the "pulldata"). What I have in my initial survey is a "Select_One" field to select HydrantID. There's a "yes" or "no" question to know if hydrant was pumped. If answer is 'yes' then it has to be surveyed a second time. I createad a "Fall Survey (FollowUp)" and I was hoping to get the HydrantID that were pumped in previous inspection in some sort of "select_one" field. Of course, the Fall Survey (FollowUp) wouldn't start before the initial survey has been completed on all hydrants which gives me time to create a list but I'd like it to be as much automated as possible.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

In that case, you could make the task list as you describe it - after the initial survey, populating a select_one with the list of the hydrants that need reinspection.

0 Kudos