Any limit on number of choice items

01-06-2020 01:32 PM
JayH
by
New Contributor III

Hello all, 

I am working on field sampling survey on species, and it looks like there will be a few hundreds choice options for some select_one questions. I expect the lengthy choice lists may slowdown the loading speed of the survey, but not sure if there is actually any limit on the number of choices. 

Also is there any way to connect database table to pull out the possible choice list rather than add each item on choices sheet?

Cheers, 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BradySmith
Occasional Contributor

Hello Jay,

I have used a list of 1000 records before with very little slowdown on a select one. If you are creating a select_one field with no other option, the default online service will create a domain to store your choices. Another option is to  explore  the pulldata function to pull values from a csv file. 

0 Kudos
JayH
by
New Contributor III

Hello Brady, I will take a look at pulldata function. Thanks.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Use external choices for sure.  Also try to narrow it down if you can (like woody vs herbaceous).

I have 5,000 species in one list and it works.  My real issue is I have it 13 times in the form.  That for sure gets slow.

IPad it loads in under 5 seconds but Android it is pushing 22 seconds to load!

0 Kudos
JayH
by
New Contributor III

Hi Doug, thank you for sharing your experience! I will try the external choices.

Cheers,

0 Kudos