Select to view content in your preferred language

Annotation Text from Image

08-22-2024 02:35 AM
ChristopherDawe
Regular Contributor

I am having an issue with annotations in survey images. When taken on the phone/tablet, and then the image is annotated, it appears clear enough but when submitted, the quality of the image is downgraded by restricting the  image  size to 1920 pixels. Unfortunately this also appears to be applied to the annotations within the image. Leaving the images to unrestricted is not really an option as due to the number of photos taken within the survey it would be too large and have issues uploading (have encountered this in the past on other surveys)

Is there any way of extractingthe annotation from the image as text or is it just stored purely as a .jpg file once annotated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have your tried upping the photo size to Unrestricted in the Connect settings?

0 Kudos
ChristopherDawe
Regular Contributor

Hi Doug, thanks for the reply, unfortunately due to the number of photos within the survey and the quality of modern cameras, the file sizes become far too large, in the region of trying to upload multiple Gb from the device.

Once the surveys have been submitted the annotations appear to be "fixed" as part of the image so cant be edited either. 

It would be more useful if the annotations were stored separately somehow so they could be edited with the rest of the survey, the only option currently is to remove the whole image, and restart with a fresh image and annotation which has a huge impact on our project timescale

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is a second way to control photo size that lets you do something between 1920 and Unrestricted that might work.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-photos/ba-p/897907 

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Where is quality degraded? If this is a feature report, you need to add this to get full quality images: | getValue:"" 

abureaux_0-1724428616083.png

Is there any way of extractingthe annotation from the image as text or is it just stored purely as a .jpg file once annotated

Once saved, it is a flat JPG, unfortunately. I think saving as layers is in the product plan, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

0 Kudos