Android cannot enter minus sign

01-14-2019 01:30 PM
NicolasRoger
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have a field of type Integer and bind::esri:fieldLength set to 3.

2 of my users have reported that they can't enter negative values on that field. (This is important becasue they are reporting temperatures). I can confirm that I can enter negative values on Windows 7 and on an Iphone. But both told me they can't enter any negative sign on their Android device.

Is this a known bug?

Is this related in anyway to the way to Survey123 Android app is programmed? See this link.

Here are the screenshot of both devices when they are trying to enter a minus sign in the field:

Device 1. Question of type Integer:

Device 2. Question of type decimal:

Are asked the user of device 2 to hold the (.-) button, but only the dot appear when doing so.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Nicolas,

Can I ask what the actual inability is? Does their device's keyboard not have an option to enter a minus sign, or is the field not accepting the minus sign? What devices are your workers using specifically? This isn't a known bug, but depending on the exact behavior we may have seen similar issues before.

0 Kudos
NicolasRoger
Occasional Contributor

Here is the actual keyboard they see when trying to enter data for this Field:

0 Kudos
NicolasRoger
Occasional Contributor

I edited the question to add new screenshots.

0 Kudos
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

There may be both a user error and device error in this case.

While I'm not sure what Android device your workers are using, on the device I'm testing on (Samsung Galaxy S8) that '.-' button produces a minus sign if you press twice on the button, rather than press and hold.

As to the button not appearing on integer questions, that may be a device-specific issue, as the '.-' button is present for integer questions on other devices, including other Androids. This could be solved by the use of a third-party Android keyboard.

NicolasRoger
Occasional Contributor

I can confirm that pressing Twice on the ( .- ) button actualy shows a minus sign on device 2. Thank you!

For device 1. I will try using a decimal question and see how it goes.. not optimal but workable.

0 Kudos