Allow for additional options with autocomplete select_one field

Jump to solution
05-30-2022 01:26 PM
JocelynPender
New Contributor

I'm building a form to collect species observations in the field.

I've created a select_one autocomplete field that is backed by a list of species choices. However, I can't figure out how to allow the user to enter a species that is not included in the list. I've used a select_one autocomplete field to increase the speed of data entry (i.e., type one or two letters and easily select the autocomplete suggestion).

Requirements of the field "species" (currently backed by choices "species_choices"):

• Must be rapid to enter data (i.e., enter hundreds of entries per 1-2h). The number of clicks on the device must be reduced as much as possible (if too many clicks/taps are required, this limits the usefulness of the form)
  • Users can pick from 1000's of existing values of species
  • Must have the option to enter a value that does not exist in the species list

I'm happy to provide additional info if the above is not clear. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JocelynPender,

It is possible to achieve this by including an "other" option in you list, and then having an additional text field that is relevant based on "other" being selected. They can then type the value into the "other" input box. What you then do is make both the select one autocomplete and the text input box use the null esri field type, and have a calculation to store the final answers, either selected from select one, or entered into other input box, into the one field that is stored in the feature layer as a real field type.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JocelynPender,

It is possible to achieve this by including an "other" option in you list, and then having an additional text field that is relevant based on "other" being selected. They can then type the value into the "other" input box. What you then do is make both the select one autocomplete and the text input box use the null esri field type, and have a calculation to store the final answers, either selected from select one, or entered into other input box, into the one field that is stored in the feature layer as a real field type.

Regards,

Phil.

ahargreaves_FW
Occasional Contributor III

@Anonymous User I'm trying to implement the above but am unable to include an "other" option in my list as it's derived from a search on another Feature Service ID field. Is there a way to tack "other" onto the end of this dynamically generated list?

0 Kudos