Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding "repeat" answers to the main survey tab

05-30-2024 04:08 PM
jcucsc
by
New Contributor II

I have a survey with several questions contained in a "repeat." This was done as a workaround so I can have more than one geopoint question. 

When I export my data as a spreadsheet, the questions for each repeat show up as separate tabs. However, the records within the repeat tabs are assigned their own global IDs that do not match the global IDs of the records for the primary tab (where most of the survey questions and answers appear). I need to be able to incorporate answers from the "repeat" tab into the "main" tab, and records need to correspond to the individual respondents.

Please help! 

For example: 

Person A completes the survey. I export the data. Person A's data comes out as a spreadsheet with most questions and answers appearing in "Tab A" of the spreadsheet. However, a select number of questions appear in "Tab B." There is no indication of which rows in Tab B represent Person A's answers. How do I make sure that I identify which row in Tab B represents "Person A"? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ChristineTombleson1
Occasional Contributor
Hello - I just had this same issue, if I am understanding your question correctly. I put all of my questions including repeats inside a repeat.

My survey collects data on shoreline features. My first question asks what type of shoreline feature (choices: coastal protection, natural buffers, recreations/navigational, Bank conditions etc.) Each of these choices opens up questions for a geopoint, comments, and photo option in a repeat. My first question asking about the shoreline feature type is at the beginning with a begin repeat and the end repeat for that question is after all other repeats, enclosing all of the questions and other repeats for the survey.

Hope that is helpful
0 Kudos
jcucsc
by
New Contributor II

Hi @ChristineTombleson1, thanks for this. To clarify - you're saying you nested the entire survey within a begin and end repeat function, and that means all data exports together in one tab? 

0 Kudos
ChristineTombleson1
Occasional Contributor

My main question asks which type of shoreline feature they are inventorying. The question starts with a begin repeat and a choice list of feature types. I then nested all of my other repeat questions about the different shoreline types (erosion control structures, natural buffets, shoreline condition, etc ) each with their choice lists and begin and end repeats, respectively.  At the  end of these,  after the last end repeat, I put the end repeat for my first question. The name of the person inputting the data is the very first question so my data table lists each persons name and all of the shoreline inventory feature options they submitted. All of Person A’s entries are together, all of person B’s entries are together. However if Person A goes back another day and enter data there will be a new Person A entry with all of their entries for that submittal. 

0 Kudos
jcucsc
by
New Contributor II

Thank you for clarifying! I will give this a try - it sounds like for this to work for me, I would need to nest pretty much the entire survey in a repeat (the sections with repeats appear pretty far apart within the survey). 

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

In the repeats there is a field called ParentGlobalID, this is the one that will link back to the record in the primary tab.

0 Kudos
jcucsc
by
New Contributor II

Thank you for this - my issue is that in the tab where my repeatdata appears, there are ParentGlobalIDs that do not appear in the main tab containing the bulk of each record.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

As @RobertAnderson3 mentioned, you are looking in the wrong column. ParentGlobalID is what you want.

If you want this done automatically, you can also set up an Automation to do this for you. You could set up an Excel file in SharePoint/One Drive and use Power Automate to generate a file with all of the data on one tab. I have a guide for this if you're interested.

jcucsc
by
New Contributor II

Hi @abureaux - thank you for the link to the guide; I will definitely check this out (it would be a huge help).

However, my issue is that the tab with my repeat data contains ParentGlobal IDs that do not appear in the tab with most of my records' data. Some of the global parent IDs in the repeat tab match those in the primary tab with most of the record, but many of the records in the repeat tab do not have a matching parent global ID in the primary dataset. 

0 Kudos