Adding new questions using Survey123 Connect with Pre-existing feature layer

295
3
Jump to solution
09-29-2021 03:37 PM
JasonLinCBRE
New Contributor

Hi,

I was building a survey on top of a pre-existing feature layer in order to make future edits and add new data. One problem I am having trouble with is what if I want to add new questions to the survey which would add new fields to the existing feature layer? When I try to add new rows in the XLSform for new questions and publish it, it will return with an error "Fields not found in the feature service: 1"

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ismael
by
New Contributor II

If you use submission_url to have your survey target an existing feature layer, Connect will never attempt to add new fields. You will need to add the field manually to your layer, and then reference it by name in your XLSForm.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Ismael
by
New Contributor II

If you use submission_url to have your survey target an existing feature layer, Connect will never attempt to add new fields. You will need to add the field manually to your layer, and then reference it by name in your XLSForm.

ChristalHigdon_USFS
New Contributor III

How about if I did not add any additional fields, only notes that do not have a "name" column and explicitly set the bind::esri:fieldType to null? I have a survey that was created off an existing hosted feature service and have simply been formatting and grouping the fields into pages. I added 3 notes fields as mentioned above and sometimes I have just kept trying and every once in a while it works to re-publish, but most of the time I get the error. I would LOVE it if Esri could give the field that it's thinking is missing when throwing that error. I did not add any actual fields and I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be.

I am using Survey123 Connect version 3.13.251

0 Kudos
ChristalHigdon_USFS
New Contributor III

So I took out the sumbission_url and published it to compare what fields were 'added' and noticed that there was a field named II_BMC_INSPECTIONS_V_count which was a count of the repeats in the related table. This field seems to be created because I was trying to limit the number of new repeats in the related inspections table to 1 by using the repeat_count field and putting a "1" in there, so the "add new record" for the repeat at the bottom would be disabled to minimize user confusion with nested repeats. When I took out the repeat_count  of 1 and tried republishing, it worked. I see this as a problem that restricting the repeat count on new records/surveys adds a new field. I don't want to track this anywhere, I just want the user limited to adding one inspection record to the repeat table for the new inspection.

0 Kudos