Select to view content in your preferred language

Add image captions to Survey report

Jump to solution
08-02-2024 01:17 PM
OrrinFeril
Occasional Contributor

I have a set of surveys that we use to collect information from the field including specific types of images. I have used the web designer to create these surveys as I wanted to get them built faster than learning to use the Survey Connect XLSX process. I've searched forums and tutorials but can't seem to find information to see if this is even possible. 

This is what I have done with success

• Created surveys and associated Docx template for each survey.
  • Within each survey report template I have a series of pictures that will show up in the report if that image was taken in the field. If there is no image, the image and manual caption do not show up. 
  • Right now, these images are placed in position in the template using tab stops in MS Word. It's not perfect but it spaces the images out nicely if all images are taken & uploaded.
  • However, if there are images not taken, there are large gaps in the report that are wasted space.

I think I can fix this if the images auto-generated their own captions based on a set parameter. However, I have not found out if Survey has the capability for auto-populating an image caption that can be accessed in a survey report template. 

I'm learning as I go in revising these surveys and templates so be gentle.

I'm attaching the survey template for reference as well as a preview report with images on the third page that show the large gaps when images aren't taken in the field.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

I have used the web designer to create these surveys as I wanted to get them built faster than learning to use the Survey Connect XLSX process.

Connect is actually quite fast and relatively easy to learn. It also allows for a very high level of customization and control that the web app doesn't. Web app is... a thing that exists. I'd highly recommend using Connect. (I promise it is less scary than it seems, and people on the forms are more than happy to help with any questions you may have).

image captions

Have you looked into this yet? Survey123 Tricks of the Trade: Photo Watermarks. Likely what you are after. Yes, it needs Connect. And yes, there is a sample survey within Connect that you can look at.

If you literally just want a string of text under an image (for example, in your feature report), that is much easier. Likely just a text field or a calculate to combine a few text elements. And looking at your Feature Report, if this is what you want, you may wish to start using tables.

third page that show the large gaps when images aren't taken in the field.

This gap?

abureaux_0-1722957236624.png

This is caused by the tabs in the Feature Report template. Try this placing the tab characters inside the IF() statements. That way, when an image doesn't exist, its tab also doesn't exist. E.g.,

abureaux_1-1722957608877.png

And again, I highly recommend Connect.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

I have used the web designer to create these surveys as I wanted to get them built faster than learning to use the Survey Connect XLSX process.

Connect is actually quite fast and relatively easy to learn. It also allows for a very high level of customization and control that the web app doesn't. Web app is... a thing that exists. I'd highly recommend using Connect. (I promise it is less scary than it seems, and people on the forms are more than happy to help with any questions you may have).

image captions

Have you looked into this yet? Survey123 Tricks of the Trade: Photo Watermarks. Likely what you are after. Yes, it needs Connect. And yes, there is a sample survey within Connect that you can look at.

If you literally just want a string of text under an image (for example, in your feature report), that is much easier. Likely just a text field or a calculate to combine a few text elements. And looking at your Feature Report, if this is what you want, you may wish to start using tables.

third page that show the large gaps when images aren't taken in the field.

This gap?

abureaux_0-1722957236624.png

This is caused by the tabs in the Feature Report template. Try this placing the tab characters inside the IF() statements. That way, when an image doesn't exist, its tab also doesn't exist. E.g.,

abureaux_1-1722957608877.png

And again, I highly recommend Connect.

0 Kudos
OrrinFeril
Occasional Contributor

While this isn't quite what I was looking for, I have taken the time to recreate the survey using Connect. As such I was able to get watermarks embedded in those pictures. Then I was able to update the report template to allow the pictures to automatically flow together without tab stops in the template. 

I do like the idea of embedding the tab into the IF statement. It works well. After making the change to the template above, this was less of an issue but it does work. 

Thanks for your help.. now to go recreate all my surveys using Connect.

0 Kudos