Access and update data from a ERP system

01-25-2018 07:32 AM
ChristineLarsen
New Contributor III

What would be the easiest way to access and update data from our ERP system (IFS) through a combination of Collector and Survey123? We are looking at work order information related to poles. The work orders come from the ERP system while the geography comes from our GIS database.

I'm currently thinking something along the lines of extracting data from the ERP system through a database view which in turn will update a table at regular intervals through a Scheduled Task which will be joined to the poles feature class. We will need to have the possibility to work with data offline in Collector and as far as I know feature services does not work with database views. The field workers need to see the work orders in Collector from where they will open Survey123.

Pdf-files of current emergency respons protocols etc. stored in the ERP system related to specific areas needs to be accessed by Collector or Survey123 in both online and offline mode. It's the offline mode part that is challenging in this regard.

Data from the surveys collected in the field needs to go back to and update the ERP system. Could this be done by way of a map/feature service for instance? Other suggestions?

Not quite sure how to accomplish this, any input would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

I'm in a similar situation using Survey for data collection to go into an asset management system. That is a loaded question though and probably no easy answer - but I like the idea. 

We pulled existing data out of our asset management system to csv format and use pulldata functions for identifying existing assets and updating incomplete attribute information while also collecting new features. As far as I am aware, you cannot dynamically read in that data from an ERP system into an existing published Survey. I don't know if it is possible to automate the process of pushing survey results out and back into an ERP system, though I am curious if anyone is doing this as it would save us a lot of time on the back end.

0 Kudos