Select to view content in your preferred language

Tool to re-link images in feature geodatabase to images field in Survey123

7 hours ago
Labels (3)
EricaNova
Frequent Contributor

Recently, an ESRI Bug (BUG-000168467) forced me to overwrite the feature class that was associated with my Survey123 Survey. When I overwrote the old feature class with the new feature class, the images that had been submitted by survey users were no longer present under the "image" field and stopped showing up in the "Gallery" shown in the Survey123 web app's "Analyze" tab. I used to use this feature all the time, but now, those images are gone from my library. I contacted support, and was told:

"When overwriting the layer, the images are added outside of the survey123 field app. They will be treated as attachments. If the user wishes to add the images and wants them to be treated as images, they have to ensure that the images are uploaded directly through a survey whether using a mobile phone or desktop. Unfortunately, this is the only way we will get images to appear under the images field on the Survey123 website... it seems the only way to get images to appear under the images field on the Survey123 website is to ensure the images are uploaded directly through a survey whether using a mobile phone or desktop. As a survey owner, you can probably go to Survey123 Web > tab Data> click each record to edit and add the image under the images field, this might take a lot of effort but it is the only thing I can think of for now.

My survey is too big to do this manually. But it would be great to have a tool to re-link those images into the proper location. I miss my Gallery functionality!

2 Comments
DavidSolari

Sounds like your local support provider was taking a nap that day: it is possible to link attachments to the appropriate Survey123 question, but you have to update the "KEYWORDS" field that's buried in the attachment table. If you're referencing EGDB data you can dig into the field in the table directly. If not (or if you want to avoid direct table editing) you can specify the KEYWORDS value for each attachment using the REST API; this sample code should point you in the right direction.

That said, it would be nice if ArcGIS did a better job preserving this new field across the system, seems like it's very easy to lose it without it being obvious until it's too late.

EricaNova

@DavidSolari the plot thickens! Can you provide a bit more guidance? Did you mean FGDB or is there something else I don't know about that is called an EGDB? 😉 

How do I find the attachment table, and what do I do once I'm there?