Select to view content in your preferred language

Enable SSO in authentication in Survey123/Survey123 Connect apps for Windows

03-21-2024 03:29 PM
Labels (2)
SamuelWeissman
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Survey123 (for Windows) and ArcGIS Survey123 Connect are used extensively at my government agency.  I think that these apps include the Webview2 control as the "browser window" for authentication into an ArcGIS Online organization or Portal for ArcGIS site.

Our agency has a security posture that requires us to log in to ArcGIS Online using SAML and Entra ID. Our individual Microsoft account is connected to our Windows account on our computers, and this lets us log into ArcGIS Online in a browser without any additional authentication steps because the browser passes our Microsoft credentials through the login.  This automatic passthrough of credentials does not happen when our users log into AGOL through ArcGIS Survey123 or ArcGIS Survey123 Connect.  Our current workaround is to tell users to set up a new connection that has the setting "Use external browser for sign in" turned on.

This authentication passthrough functionality is turned off by default in the Webview2 control for security purposes.  Microsoft exposes a setting that can be configured when including the Webview2 control that is documented at https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.web.webview2.core.corewebview2environmentopti...  I have confirmed that configuring this setting as an environment variable in Windows allows ArcGIS Pro to use our SSO credentials, but it does not work in ArcGIS Survey123 or ArcGIS Survey123 Connect.

Please enable the browser control in ArcGIS Survey123 and ArcGIS Survey123 Connect (which, as far as I am aware, is only used for authentication) to allow passthrough of the Windows account credentials for Single Sign On (SSO).