Select to view content in your preferred language

Design and Publish Surveys from ArcGIS Pro

3 weeks ago
Labels (2)
JCGuarneri
Occasional Contributor II

It's nice to have the standalone Survey123 Connect app for users other than the core GIS Staff, but it would be very convenient to also have that rolled into ArcGIS Pro. The standalone app can occasionally cause IT headaches, especially since it's installed via the Windows app store instead of as a standalone install file. If it's in Pro, it would already be there and we can also associate surveys with a specific project.

3 Comments
RobertAnderson3

There is a standalone install file for Survey123 Connect and the Field App for Windows, it can be found here: ArcGIS Survey123 Downloads (esri.com)

The one thing to note is that if you install this way it will not automatically update to new versions.

There is also the web designer although I know it's not nearly as powerful. 

I dont know if I see a need to integrate it into Pro, though I could see something like the Field Maps form designer being added in Pro to set up forms before publishing a layer.

abureaux

Adding this functionality to ArcPro would be a big struggle. It would cause a very large overhead to the ArcPro development and patching process for little gain.

I support the Windows Store version of Connect because of the auto-updates, but I also am not a fan of the Windows Store in general. (However, I wouldn't be surprised if MS forced them into using it)

The web designer... I really want it to fade into the distance and never be mentioned again...

Ideally, we would get a standalone installer as the sole Dev App that would have a "Settings" page (like every other program out there... even ArcPro!) where you could set update settings. That way it would download/install/notify you of updates.

JCGuarneri

Not being an Esri employee, I can't comment on how much work it would or wouldn't be. However, there's nothing stopping them from still using the XLS form. I'm picturing something much like what is already in place in the data design functionality (fields, domains, etc). Or better yet, why not make it so that the pick lists in forms just update with the existing Domains from the feature service they are pointed to?

My larger point is that designing and working with Survey123 forms is shockingly divorced from the rest of the Enterprise/ArcGIS Online workflows that they're supposed to be tightly integrated with. Right now, I can make a Pro project that has a all the maps, layouts, reports, tools, etc, I need to set up and manage an enterprise-level workflow pretty much end to end. Survey123 is a glaring exception, and it would make sense if I could include any relevant forms in that same project.