Create Centroid Point at the creation of Geoshape in Survey123

11-12-2019 06:33 AM
JustinConner
Occasional Contributor II

I'm creating a survey for the city DPW to easily enter capital improvement projects for long range planning. I'm using a Geoshape polygon to capture the project area. The survey then goes on to capture all the relevant attributes of the planned projects. Automatically adding a Geopoint would solve the problem of locating a polygon when viewing at city-wide scale in a dashboard or storymap. Of course the user could enter a point manually but that adds an extra step which could lead to confusion (do I enter point or polygon?) or skipping the step altogether.

Using Arcade, I can populate x and y coordinate fields on the fly. However those are only "virtual" fields. Maybe being able to create a view that maps the xy fields as points? Or maybe a geometry calculation with Survey123?

4 Comments
DerrickWestoby

Strongly agree! Being able to extract the centroid of a geoshape in the survey would help out a lot. 

BenVan_Kesteren1

We love that we can draw a polygon to capture the 'survey area', but we need to be able to include a latitude and longitude in our Report, currently showing centroid etc is not possible with the geoshape.

Adamson

Has there been an update on this?

I am looking to create a survey were users define a geoshape of a hazard area, and automatically calculate a repeat geopoint.

- the intent is that when submitted and displayed on a map the user can see the point at a national and regional scale, but when zoomed the layer switches to the polygon feature.

Jcordovafredes

Hello, I have just spent days looking for a way to generate a centroid from a geoshape, and I see that it is not possible. Here is my requirement below:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/geoshape-and-geopoint/m-p/1136424#M39924

But from now on, by incorporating a centroid calculation in xls form from a geoshape, it would solve the inconveniences that we are having today when we want to mix vector layers.

I put the topic on the table, is there any update on the topic?