Select to view content in your preferred language

Allow "Location UNaware surveys"

yesterday
Labels (1)
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

This one is just annoying. We have many forms that really don't care where the user is. However, all surveys in S123 require location services, and give you this annoying popup when the location sharing permissions aren't set:

abureaux_0-1721831246420.png

Would be great if there was a toggle within Connect that could be enabled to just "ignore" location settings on a survey-by-survey basis. Just have the survey default to 0,0 (which it already does) and don't warn the user that their location services are off.

2 Comments
RobertAnderson3

Huge agree, most of the surveys I have are actually not location based right now.

This is annoying every time, but I was running into issues where with our virtual desktop systems, it continuously tried to refresh the location thinking it had access, then failing to get a location, and returning an endless amount of this error message making the app unusable. Our solution ended up being turn off location as a whole at the Windows level.

From that incident I have an open enhancement with Esri: ENH-000162130 - Add an option for users to disable the Survey123 alert message pop-up 'Location Inaccessible'.

It also references ENH-000124021 though I can't seem to find the exact description of this one, I believe it's similar.

I made an Idea similar to this, but specific to Desktop a while ago as well:
Option to Disable Location on Survey123 Desktop Ap... - Esri Community

I wonder if this could also lend to better battery life on mobile devices, we end up getting users complaining about their batteries dying when they're using Survey123 or Field Maps a lot during the day.

abureaux

Haha. I apparently already found and kudo'd that idea... Sorry for the duplicate.  Thank you for linking!

Ya, battery life is quite an issue as well. I've found S123 just being open and idling in the background drains my battery very quickly.