Select to view content in your preferred language

trouble in opening slosh generated shapefile in arcGIS

04-16-2013 08:19 AM
AjuVattakunnel_raju
New Contributor
I am unable to open shapefile created in slosh display using Arcmaps10.1. The error dialog box showns the message
"The following data sources you added are missing spatial reference information.This data can be drawn in arcmaps but cannot be projected."For me  Shapefiles created using slosh are having only 3 types of file extensions .shp,.shx and .dbf, am i getting this error because no prj files are generated? can anyone help please...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23553[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ajuvr1

Problem solved!
0 Kudos
PeterManousos
New Contributor
How did you solve it?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: pmanousos

Greetings - spoke to the NOAA contact on this and the problem is that the SLOSH Display Program doesnt create a .prj (projection) file.  This is because (at the time of this writing) the code they developed to produce (export) the SLOSH output into .shp was designed in the ArcView 3.1 days when there wa no such thing. 

That said, the NOAA contact stated the shapfile (with .prj file) bundle are already extracted on the http://slosh.nws.noaa.gov/sloshPriv site (you will need to register and get the username and password). 

You can use the .prj file from the download with the export SLOSH .shp or just use the .shp file bundle you download from the above site.

Pete
0 Kudos