Using images added to ArcGIS Online

07-01-2021 05:15 AM
AGP
by
Occasional Contributor

I know the storymap builder optimizes images directly uploaded to the storymap but I have some decorative images and separators I recurrently use in my storymaps so I added them to ArcGIS Online and use the public image URL found in the item details on my storymaps.

The problem is that those images stop showing in my storymaps. What am I doing wrong?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AGP -- Make sure you are copying the link directly from the item page using the copy link button (rather than viewing it in a new tab and copying the link from the browser address bar).

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 8.38.09 AM.jpg

The link on the item page (which should have an arcgis.com domain and end in /data) is the one you need to use in the story builder. It should look something like this:

https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/982e07bc25144b0ebca77451350377c1/data

If you copy a link from the address bar it will have an AmazonAWS domain and contain an access token, which expires after a period of time. Don't use that one.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
AGP
by
Occasional Contributor

That's exactly what I've been doing all the time:

add_AGOL_link.jpg

Inspecting the image element in the story I see this:

AGOL_image.jpg

So it is replacing my ArcGIS Online link (yeah, the one with the arcgis.com domain and ending in /data) with that one with an AmazonAWS domain and a (very short lived) security token.

I remark I do not view the item in the browser and copy the link from the address bar but as you see it would be the same.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AGP -- We did some investigation and there does appear to be a bug that prevents this from working as expected in some cases. We'll plan to get a developer working on a fix for an upcoming release. I'll post here when I get more information about timing.

I apologize that this issue is impacting your stories.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AGP -- We're planning to address this issue at the end of July. You will need to re-add the images to the story after the fix is deployed.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AGP  -- I have an update on this one: We were able to figure out a way to get the broken images to work without having to re-add them, but it took a little longer to implement. The fix will be rolled out in a few weeks in mid-August.

Owen Evans
DrVSSKiran
Occasional Contributor II

As you mentioned that you are using the public image URL, so cross-check the image URL. If URL is working fine then follow the below @OwenGeo  comments and try.

0 Kudos