Select to view content in your preferred language

Unresponsive/slow loading to edit my Story Map

Jump to solution
02-27-2022 07:44 AM
sdctchair
Emerging Contributor

Good afternoon, 

For a few days now my story map has been unresponsive. As I try to open the web page to edit it will not load, as such I have not been able to continue editing my story. I have had this issue on several different computers and locations, so I do not believe that it is an issue with my device or internet. 

I use several express maps in a side car format with a large number of points on each map (might this be presenting an issue?). 

Looking forward to hearing back. 

Thanks, 

Joanna

52 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@FCOAdmin -- I'm very sorry that this has been your experience editing a story. That is certainly not expected. I'm not currently able to reproduce the issue you describe, and we haven't heard of any other reports of this recently. As you can see earlier in this thread, we did fix a similar issue a few months ago but the authors that reported the issue back then also reported that issue has been resolved for them.

As I recommended to those customers, the best way to get assistance with an issue like this is to contact Esri Technical Support. It's not possible to do the type of troubleshooting needed to resolve an issue like this over the forums, but our support analysts are fully equipped to help you. Please contact them to open an incident and an analyst will help you and provide our development team with any information needed to resolve a software issue if one is identified.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
Curt_H
by
Regular Contributor

I did a test as well. Added a second slide to a sidecar (not a duplicate), selected it, went to add media,  and immediately the focus / selection goes back to the first slide. Adding a swipe does seem to work, but not a video or image, embed, or web map. Hmmm.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Curt_H @mcolwin @KateCoffey -- This sounds like a different issue. I apologize that you seem to have been hit with two issues in succession like this. 😕

I'm wondering if it's related to some specific content type or arrangement you all have in your stories, because I'm not able to reproduce this in a new story or other existing stories that I've tried.

Please work with Esri Support on this as they are best equipped to troubleshoot and look for the commonalities in all reported cases.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
mcolwin
Occasional Contributor

I am a government employee, I have very limited means to work with Technical Support without jumping through a bunch of hoops. This seems like it's obviously a problem when 3 different people immediately have the issue right after you push an update. I've tried this across multiple browsers, I've copied the Story and tried it from there, nothing is working.

mcolwin
Occasional Contributor

For what it's worth, this GIF shows what is happening to myself and others.

C8F11DFA-4E63-4C16-AD10-3117DDD355F0.GIF

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@mcolwin -- This is similar to an issue we are aware of and already investigating. We have a good idea that only stories with map actions are affected. Does your story contain map actions?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
mcolwin
Occasional Contributor

@OwenGeo I do not think my Story contains any map actions. It has (so far) 4 sidecars, which all functioned correctly. I was trying to add content to a 5th sidecar when this issue began occurring. I tried adding content to a new slide in the first two sidecars, and this was successful. It was on the 3rd, 4th, or any new sidecars that I cannot add content to the second (or more) slides.

If you want the Story to be made public to look at it, let me know.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@mcolwin -- If you could please publish and share your story publicly and share the link/id here, that would be helpful. We have not been able to reproduce the issue in our testing so far.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Curt_H
by
Regular Contributor

@OwenGeo Hi Owen - this testing story map of mine is exhibiting the same behavior. If you go to the bottom, add a sidecar and then add a second slide, hopefully you'll see the behavior.

https://nifc.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=bccd3c2f1cc04ae7adf235b72a79ce21

Thanks!

mcolwin
Occasional Contributor

@OwenGeo @Curt_H What I'm finding is that there appears to be a specific sidecar in my Story that is affecting anything after it. When I try adding content to sidecars above that one, it seems to work. When I create new sidecars above that one, they seem to function correctly. But anything on or after that sidecar have the functionality described above. I'm rebuilding the sidecar to determine if, once it's deleted, everything functions normally.