Thumbnail Bug

Jump to solution
01-24-2020 08:37 AM
Melissa__Danielle_Pugh
New Contributor III

Whenever I publish changes to my story, the item summary and thumbnail revert back to the original state. Is anyone else having this issue? The other page details appear to be unaffected. 

What the intended information should have been before publishing edits:

After published edits: 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Melissa__Danielle_Pugh FYI, this feature was rolled out in Feb 2022.

What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (February 2022) (esri.com)

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Melissa__Danielle_Pugh
New Contributor III

Owen Evans‌ I tested this out with another story and saw the same behavior, thoughts? 

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi, this is expected. The item information is synced up with the current story title, subtitle, and cover image on every publish. At this time, if you want to use different item info you'll need to update those manually after publishing.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is very annoying and should not be the expected behavior. Our organization has standard thumbnail formats and should be maintained through the life of a story map regardless of whether or not updates need to be published.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Melissa__Danielle_Pugh / @Anonymous User -- Thanks for the feedback about this! We have some updates we are planning in this area, and it'd be great to know a little more information to help us better address your requests.

Is the primary request that you just want a way to pick your own thumbnail and have that image used everywhere the thumbnail appears (ArcGIS item page, when sharing the story on social media sites, in your list of stories on the StoryMaps website, etc.)?

Or is it that you want a different thumbnail to be used in the ArcGIS universe (item page, if the story is added to a gallery app, etc.) as opposed to the thumbnail that's used when the story is shared on social media sites.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would prefer that metadata not be automatically replaced with a story map's title image and subtitle every time changes are published. If a user manually updates the thumbnail and item summary, it seems very likely they want that information to remain unchanged until they manually edit it again.

0 Kudos
awagner
New Contributor III

@Anonymous User @OwenGeo I totally agree that this is very frustrating. I'm a part of NOAA where we have to have AGOL admins approve content to be published publicly, and our StoryMap makers are required to include a thumbnail, summary, and description before it is made public. After every update, people have to go in and change the item details page and it becomes cumbersome. Could there be a way to turn off this auto-update or not let StoryMaps revert back to the first line of the StoryMap? 

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

The ability to choose whether the item data is updated on publish is planned for sometime in the first part of 2022.

Owen Evans
DavidNovak
Esri Contributor

Hello dear @OwenGeo ,
do I think right this behavior was already fixed?

I was not able to reproduce this issue anymore. 🙂

David

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DavidNovak -- Not yet. When a story is published, the ArcGIS item data is still updated.

However, we're rolling out an update this week that will allow you to disable that automatic update and customize what others see when they see a story shared on social media.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos