Select to view content in your preferred language

Thumbnail Bug

Jump to solution
01-24-2020 08:37 AM
Melissa__Danielle_Pugh
New Contributor III

Whenever I publish changes to my story, the item summary and thumbnail revert back to the original state. Is anyone else having this issue? The other page details appear to be unaffected. 

What the intended information should have been before publishing edits:

After published edits: 

14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@OwenGeo, updated my first few story maps since this update rolled out and the thumbnail stayed in tact. This is great!

However, the item summary still updates to the story map subtitle. Not great... Please continue improvements in this area to maintain any manually updated item summaries when updates are published.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Anonymous User I'm glad you're enjoying this feature!

In my testing I'm unable to reproduce the issue you described where the ArcGIS item summary gets updated with the story subtitle after the "Update ArcGIS item details when publishing" checkbox is disabled. Could you please provide the specific steps you are going through when you observe this problem?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My apologies, @OwenGeo! I didn't realize the update setting had to be configured in the story settings. I unchecked the box and the item summary remained in tact upon publishing.

The item thumbnail has remained in tact before I disabled the new update setting, so I didn't realize that option was now available. Glad to see the thumbnail update doesn't appear to be an option at all anymore.

One more note, the story settings dialog has space for title and description that would be used for automatic item detail updates when publishing. It appears the Description box updates the item summary in the item details. This is confusing because there is already a description section in the item details. I think it should be changed to Summary in the story settings dialog.

Thanks again, keep up the great work.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Great! I'm glad it is working as expected, and thanks for your additional feedback.

The primary purpose of those options are to configure the social media information. In that context, the secondary text field is always called a "description" by social media sites/SEO documentation, which is why we went with that name here.

A secondary role of this metadata is to auto-populate the ArcGIS item information, so that the item has useful information to represent it in ArcGIS, even if the author hasn't specifically edited the item details.

I don't think we're going to change the name of that field since it's appropriate for its primary role, but we can consider adding some additional help text in the future to help explain how this information maps to the ArcGIS item info fields.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Melissa__Danielle_Pugh FYI, this feature was rolled out in Feb 2022.

What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (February 2022) (esri.com)

Owen Evans