The layer legends are not updating correctly when switching maps within my story map, using the side car. I think this is a bug.

Jump to solution
10-26-2020 12:58 PM
ShawnaLReid
New Contributor II

I am creating a side car section within a larger story map.  I've created multiple maps in the context column in order to show specific layers in each map.  When switching back and forth between the maps, the legends do not update correctly. Maps are keeping the legend attributes and symbology from a previously viewed map.   How can I correct this?  Is this a bug that hasn't been fixed yet?  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

A fix for this issue was deployed in the Oct 26 release.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is an bug they've known about since July. I suggest following this thread as well for updates, https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-storymaps-questions/map-action-beta-potential-labeling-bug/m-p/....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

A fix for this issue was deployed in the Oct 26 release.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Owen!

I think the bug that was solved last year is back. I am facing a similar issue wherein I don't see the layer name updating in my storymap's legend. (Please refer to bug1.jpg)

I had renamed the layer as shown in images (bug2,jpg and bug3.jpg)

Can you please help me out in understanding if it is the same bug or am I doing something differently than I'm supposed to in order to update the names in the legend.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks, Ari

Curt_H
by
New Contributor III

Hi Ari - were you able to get any more info on this issue? I am having the same problem. I am making the updates in web map classic viewer, but changes to the layer name are not reflected in the web map embedded in the StoryMap.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Joe_Brickley
New Contributor II

Hi Curt_H, 

I'm having the same issue, if you find a solution please can you post it! 

The legend in  the Storymaps side car maps just uses the underlying feature layer name and will not update to the layer name used in the web map used to create the sidecar map! 

Thanks

Joe

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Anonymous User @Curt_H @Joe_Brickley --We'll look into this issue, but please know that you can edit the layer names in the story builder if you need to update them.

Just click on the layer name in the side panel of the map designer and enter your changes. Changes made in the story builder only apply in the story; the layer names in the web map are not affected.

Owen Evans
Curt_H
by
New Contributor III

@OwenGeo - thanks for the heads up on being able to change the layer name within SM builder (had no idea) something I just discovered however is if a map action was created before an update to a layer name,  the map action still shows the legend with the old layer name and cannot be changed. So unfortunately it appears we'd be required to re-create any/all map actions if we update a layer name in a web map.

Thanks see screen caps below..

Curt_H_0-1631723400678.png 

Above Map action maintains old layer name.

Below is the updated layer name in the embedded web map settings.

Curt_H_1-1631723472797.png

Thanks for your time and help!

Curt

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Was a fix found for this, please @OwenGeo? Having the same issue now with multiple storymaps that have many map actions within. They each have the same layer in their embedded map that needs the name updating and it doesn't update with the map.

I can update in the storymap map, but then the conequent legends for any map actions don't update!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Anonymous User -- This isn't something that we have addressed yet, but it is on our list.

For now, you could disable the legend on the map and add it as a screenshot in the narrative panel of the sidecar. Or I'd also encourage you to see if you can eliminate the legend through some other creative storytelling by using colored text or other descriptive information in the sidecar, as described in this story.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos