Select to view content in your preferred language

StoryMap randomly navigating out of story

Jump to solution
06-12-2023 03:30 PM
Labels (3)
McGehee_Melissa
New Contributor

I have four StoryMaps in a collection. When scrolling through each story map, when the user gets to a certain spot in three of the story maps, they are automatically transitioned back to the collection page. In two of the story maps, the transition happens in the middle of or at the end of a sidecar. In the third, it's right before a sidecar. The transition does not happen every time, although when it does happen, it's always in the same place. If a user leaves the story map open for more than a couple of minutes, it transitions back to the collection page. I don't know what might be causing this glitch in the navigation. Is there something with the way it is set up that might cause this to happen? Someone else created them, but I can't see anything that would cause a problem.

2, 3 and 4 are the ones with the issues:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a7f892d5c0db4b53897afb597cb5f70d/page/Story-Map-Collection-... 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@McGehee_Melissa -

Is the user supposed to be taken back to the collection automatically if they are at the bottom of the story map? And when in the collection itself, the screen sort of refreshes every couple of minutes. Is that normal?

There is no automatic navigation between stories in a collection, so this is not expected.

Are you seeing any of these issues if you just view the collections on its own?

If you are seeing this just when viewing the collection there may be some embedded content in one of your stories that is stealing the page focus and causing the navigation jump. Try converting any embeds to cards one at a time to see if that eliminates the issue.

If not, I would try posting this question to the Experience Builder board. There may be some refresh logic that is affecting the collection when it's embedded.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@McGehee_Melissa -- I'm getting a login screen when scrolling through the 3rd story, which means there's some content that is not shared publicly. You likely aren't seeing this the same way because you may be accessing the page when logged in. Please look into that and see if correcting the sharing level addresses the issue.

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 8.36.09 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
McGehee_Melissa
New Contributor

Hi Owen,

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. When I open it in incognito, I am not prompted to login in and no one else has said that they are given the login screen (that doesn't mean they weren't, I just haven't heard that). As far as I can tell, everything is shared publicly. I did try sharing a couple of other things that weren't public that I didn't think were being used, just to see if that did anything. But there is no change. 

Is the user supposed to be taken back to the collection automatically if they are at the bottom of the story map? And when in the collection itself, the screen sort of refreshes every couple of minutes. Is that normal? I'm wondering if I need to just recreate everything, story maps and collection. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@McGehee_Melissa -

Is the user supposed to be taken back to the collection automatically if they are at the bottom of the story map? And when in the collection itself, the screen sort of refreshes every couple of minutes. Is that normal?

There is no automatic navigation between stories in a collection, so this is not expected.

Are you seeing any of these issues if you just view the collections on its own?

If you are seeing this just when viewing the collection there may be some embedded content in one of your stories that is stealing the page focus and causing the navigation jump. Try converting any embeds to cards one at a time to see if that eliminates the issue.

If not, I would try posting this question to the Experience Builder board. There may be some refresh logic that is affecting the collection when it's embedded.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos