StoryMap Publish Changes Error

Jump to solution
12-29-2020 07:18 AM
TaraMurphy
New Contributor

Hi

I've been working on a StoryMap for the last few months via google chrome with minimal loading errors. Today 12/29/20 I am consistently receiving this error when publishing new changes: "Hmm... there seems to be an issue.The story can’t be loaded."

I have closed out the window, logged out, and logged back in only to receive the same window. Any guidance?

Thanks!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TaraMurphy
New Contributor

Update:  After double-checking all of the story map's content's permissions, and it was finally able to be published. It doesn't seem there was a clear solution here but nevertheless, the issue has been resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@CindyHamfler3 -- I'm sorry you are having a problem with some of your stories. For this type of specific issue please contact Esri Support. They are the best equipped to help you troubleshoot and get this resolved quickly.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
TaraMurphy
New Contributor

Update:  After double-checking all of the story map's content's permissions, and it was finally able to be published. It doesn't seem there was a clear solution here but nevertheless, the issue has been resolved.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@TaraMurphy -- OK, thanks for providing that update that this has been resolved. Please let us know if this happens again so we can try to reproduce the issue.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
CindyHamfler3
New Contributor II

I have had a few published storymaps recently start giving me the error "Hmm...there seems to be an issue".  One story had several videos.  In the latest one to go belly-up, I had just replaced a video file from my computer (so that it was a smaller file).  I started these Dec. 2020, it's now March 2021. I've looked at the JSON, but can't see anything wrong (wouldn't really know what to look for). I see a post about Postman software, but I'm not allowed to install software on my machine (IT security policy).  I really don't want to have to re-create🙄.  Any other next steps???

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@CindyHamfler3 -- I'm sorry you are having a problem with some of your stories. For this type of specific issue please contact Esri Support. They are the best equipped to help you troubleshoot and get this resolved quickly.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MichaelCamponovoUTK
New Contributor

I have a student here at UTK who is having the same issue. Her story map does not contain any maps yet, just pictures and videos. We tried opening the story map in multiple browsers and duplicating the story map. We also tried making the story map public and visible just within the organization. The specific  error is Type=story-load.

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

Same issue here as @MichaelCamponovoUTK for some of my students. We haven't been able to isolate any consistent factor, e.g. the most recent change made. The error comes up when trying to edit so it's not possible to check permissions or strip out content to determine the culprit. These are very simple story maps which contain mostly images and text, and one web map with layers from within our organisation. Would love to hear suggestions.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@KatyAppleton1 @MichaelCamponovoUTK -- I'm sorry a few of your students are having this issue. We are looking into this, but as you said it's difficult to reproduce. From what we have gathered, the issue is very rare, but is occurring with some frequency. Is there any other information you can provide?

• What is the network speed of the wifi that is being used to edit the story?
  • What device (Windows laptop, Mac laptop, iPhone, Android tablet, etc.) is being used to edit the story?
  • What browser (Chrome, Edge, Safari, Firefox, etc.) and version is being used to edit the story?
  • Is it possible students working on a group project are disregarding the warning message about multiple people editing a story at the same time?
  • Does the error first appear while the story is being edited or when coming back to the builder after not having edited the story in a while?

Can you provide the itemID for any stories that are experiencing this issue? Please make sure the items are shared publicly or we won't be able to see them (you can share a story from the ArcGIS content page if the builder is not working).

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Owen. As our students are working remotely on a variety of devices and networks, this is really hard to answer. I suspect it may be down to multiple editors trying to work simultaneously, although we have warned as strongly as we can about not doing this. I am not aware of any consistency about when it happens in relation to the last edit (i.e. a long break or not), but when there is a deadline coming up students are naturally more focused on recreating their broken story map than answering my troubleshooting questions.

I have a call in with UK support, and one student who has volunteered to provide more info, so hopefully this might get some further ideas.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@KatyAppleton1 -- Thank you for the additional information. We very much appreciate that you have a student working with Esri Support. They are the best equipped to help troubleshoot issues like this and gather the information needed for us to isolate and address the problem.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos