Select to view content in your preferred language

Story Maps not loading

Jump to solution
05-02-2023 11:32 AM
NancyMontes_de_Soto
New Contributor

I am getting a blank page when I am trying to open several of my story maps. I created the story maps long ago, and in the past I had seen a sad face sometimes, but this time I am getting a blank page. I refreshed the page several times and that worked some times but not others. I am using Google Chrome. But I also tried in Microsoft Edge and Firebox - same issue. They were working fine a couple of week ago. Any help?

Tags (1)
81 Replies
JJHaines
New Contributor

SAME ISSUE! Half of my student projects open find and half worked a week ago and are now blank or never opened or can only be partially loaded through the university organization page... Grades are due tomorrow.

This chain was marked as "resolved" but I don't see the actual solution.

GIS_Fox
Frequent Contributor

@JJHaines We're still having the same issue as well, although not as severe. We have seen the load time triple however and the storymaps that turn white may still be accessible if the browser cache is cleared and allowed to load for a bit. Otherwise backups & recovery tickets may be in order as other posts have entailed in this thread or others.

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
SaraJL
by
Frequent Contributor

@JJHaines @GIS_Fox In case this helps - the only way we've been able to resolve it is open the projects in a Chrome Incognito window!

Not super great if the end users are just viewing public Story Maps, but it definitely worked if someone needs a short-term situation for grading.

• I say specifically Incognito, because clearing out the internet cache doesn't always fix it (it only fixed the situation for us about 75% of the time). But I think because Incognito doesn't save anything, that worked.
GIS_Fox
Frequent Contributor

@SaraJL @JJHaines Good to know, tried and wasn't able to replicate the white screen via Incognito at the moment, normal browser and other browsers also appear working nominally as well. Could be a momentary issue like we've seen previously, but i'll add the Incognito to white-screen issue checks. This morning it was public facing apps we saw load at triple expected times before finally loading in so at least incognito chrome would help here. 

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi All,

Thank you for letting us know of the loading issue reappearing. We seemed to have a higher level of activity on Saturday that increased loading time. We are working on mitigating this behavior now and will post here with any updates.

--Abby

Y_Chau
by
Frequent Contributor

Hi, I reached here searching for the cause why my storymap is not loading. One year since the first report and still not resolved. We are also facing similar issue with basemaps in ArcGIS Pro. Do you think this is related to excessive load on your servers?

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Y_Chau - It is unlikely there is any connection between the basemap issue you are seeing in ArcGIS Pro and the issue described in this thread. Those resources are hosted on completely different systems.

On the StoryMaps side, we saw a slight increase in error rates across some of our infrastructure this morning, but the situation was resolved within a few minutes. If you are experiencing a persistent issue with one or more of your stories not loading, please contact Esri Technical Support.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
AvaPatterson
Occasional Contributor

Seeing this issue today with the same storymap I mentioned in this thread last year in June. I waited over the weekend and it resolved itself. Now it hasn't been working today or yesterday. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AvaPatterson - I'm sorry you are seeing an issue on your end. I clicked your link and the story loaded immediately for me (see screenshot, below).

We are not seeing any general or system-wise issue, so the issue may be on your end with your computer or your network. Could you please try clearing your browser cache or using a different browser or computer?

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 11.15.16 AM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
OliviaHarrison
Occasional Contributor

I've just encountered this as well. Seems to be a problem in Edge, as the StoryMap is loading in Chrome and Firefox. Are there any solutions/suggestions?

https://arcg.is/1vuqvz0

0 Kudos