Story maps no longer displaying PNGs with transparency?

Jump to solution
10-08-2020 11:05 AM
MartySchnure
New Contributor III

I just noticed that a story map that I published back in February is no longer displaying several of the images. The only thing I can think of that these pngs have in common compared to those that are still displaying is that they use transparency. 

Has story maps stopped supporting pngs with transparency? Or is this a bug? Please advise. Story map linked below for reference. 

The real impact of drilling in the Arctic Refuge—in 7 maps 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MartySchnure -- I have learned that this issue was addressed in the ArcGIS back-end in a release earlier this week. You may need to re-add your image to the story to fix the issue. Can you please see if you are still experiencing this issue?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Marty Schnure‌ -- I can see the issue and we are looking into it. I apologize this has affected your story.

Two workarounds you could use to temporarily address this are:

1. Replace the PNG with a JPG version of the same image
  2. Making the image a different size (so changing it from FLOAT to SMALL or MEDIUM)

I realize neither of these are ideal for the way your story is designed, but at least the image would be visible. I'll update this thread when we have more information.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I have been in contact with our platform team about this issue. They have identified the cause and are looking into a fix for the upcoming ArcGIS Online release in mid-Dec.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MartySchnure -- I have learned that this issue was addressed in the ArcGIS back-end in a release earlier this week. You may need to re-add your image to the story to fix the issue. Can you please see if you are still experiencing this issue?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos