Story Map Express map and map function not loading

11-27-2019 10:09 AM
MiaMassicotte
Occasional Contributor

I have been working for a few days trying to build a StoryMap using the new version (not the classic).  Today I was making progress building a rudimentary express map in a sidecar.  As I was working at this at some point I got "unexpected error" and I could no longer pull up the map in the window.  I could see vesitiges of it (a box with my map legend inside the frame) but the map itself was not loading in the frame. I tried the 'search' feature but nothing happen works.    I logged out, shut down, reloaded, etc. Still no map was loading in the frame.  

I deleted the chunk with the express map using the Remove Slide option. I copied the text chunks elsewhere so as not the lose them.  I then deleted the sidecar, expecting to be able to recreate it along with the sidecar without too much work.

However, now when I open this same StoryMap, the Express map function no longer works.  I can choose to add an Express map and the frame for it appears, but no basemap appears. The icons are greyed out. 

I can live without an express map in this StoryMap, but it also seems that the regular 'insert a map' function is not working.

My storymap isn't shared because its in development. It's located at https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=e9d36398d22243d1aa6872bf6b59c7ab 

I'm loathe to have to recreate the content using the new StoryMap environment if this is known issue.  Everything was working properly in this Story Map until I started adding in the Express Map.

Is my experience unique, or has this situation been encountered by others using Express Maps? 

Mia

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Mia!

I had a recent support case with a customer who was getting gray map boxes. Do you know if WebGL is enabled on your browser? You can check this by going to: https://get.webgl.org/  . If you see a spinning cube, you have WebGL. If you don't, you may need to talk to your IT department about re-enabling it.

Does Developer Tools throw an error when trying to load the page? In Chrome, click the three dots at the top right > More Tools > Developer Tools. Switch to the Console tab and re-load the page. That may help us determine if WebGL or something else may be the issue.

It may be worth trying to load the same page on another network (library, home network, etc.) to see if the behavior differs. Also try other browsers.

I can't see your story map given it's not public right now, but if you have a chance to bump it to public, let us know and we can take a peek.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Rachel G

Esri Support Services

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services
MiaMassicotte
Occasional Contributor

Hi

Yes, when I go to get.webgl.org I see a spinning cube (running Safari 13.03 on my desktop Mac Mohave 10.14.6.).

I'll revisit using Chrome and follow your steps -- will update my findings tomorrow.

Thanks again

Mia

0 Kudos
MiaMassicotte
Occasional Contributor

Rachel,

I've enabled it temporarily: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/e9d36398d22243d1aa6872bf6b59c7ab?

Mia

0 Kudos
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Thanks Mia!

I reviewed the story map and I don't see any maps or blank map pages. Did you remove the map that wasn't working? If so, could you re-add it so we can see it not working? Alternatively, can you grab a screenshot of where it should be showing so I can check that spot here?

Thank you!

Rachel Guttmacher
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
MiaMassicotte
Occasional Contributor

That's exactly the problem, Rachel, I cannot insert a map any longer - it won't save. When I try to insert a map, there is only a grayed out save, along with a live 'cancel'.

I'm shut down for now, so will send a screenshot tomorrow.

Thanks

Mia

0 Kudos
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Ahh, sorry about that. Got it now!

I've seen some situations where story map builders (the old templates) would not allow you to save because there was invalid HTML somewhere on the page. Sometimes we'd see that if we reviewed Fiddler when trying to save the application.

When you can, let us know what the Console says when you try to save and we'll check out the response.

Rachel Guttmacher
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
MiaMassicotte
Occasional Contributor

Rachel, I enabled it so you can troubleshoot: ArcGIS StoryMaps 

0 Kudos
MiaMassicotte
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rachel,

Chrome worked fine today -- so ... I went back to Safari, cleared cookies and things are back to normal. Express maps are functioning, and I can insert a regular map just fine.

All's well that ends well!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Mia

0 Kudos
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Mia,

Great, glad to hear! Sounds like a bad cookie or something. Let us know if it happens again.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rachel Guttmacher
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos