Select to view content in your preferred language

Stories won't duplicate

Jump to solution
02-24-2023 07:02 AM
CeliaClifford
New Contributor II

I can no longer duplicate StoryMaps (as I could before). I've tried doing so multiple browsers, and tried restarting both browsers and computer: no dice.

Specifically, when I click "duplicate," it goes to a screen that SAYS it's duplicating ... but that never actually happens. When I return to my projects, a new "Draft" copy has been made ... but when I click on it, it can't be opened. 

This problem began yesterday and persists today.

I'd be grateful to learn how to fix this! Many thanks for any insights (or accounts of similar experiences).

0 Kudos
20 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@CeliaClifford -- This issue has been fixed. Please let us know if you are still having trouble duplicating stories.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
AndrewChittick
New Contributor

I also have a StoryMap which won't duplicate. It also no longer saves periodically; it stopped saving last week. Do you have any suggestions about what is wrong with it? I appreciate whatever help you can offer.  --Andrew Chittick

0 Kudos
CeliaClifford
New Contributor II

Thanks, Owen! I can duplicate again: hooray! 😀

0 Kudos
ARCSolutions
New Contributor

I also am now unable to duplicate stories. Have tried logging in and out and using a different browser to no avail. Storymap link is: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/9dfe2740801f410781bd216b293983be

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@ARCSolutions -- The general issue with duplication of stories that was caused by the ArcGIS Online update last week that was previously identified has been fixed.

The one you are reporting appears to be a different issue, possibly isolated to your story or your system. I would recommend that you please contact Esri Support so they can gather the required information to help troubleshoot and resolve this.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
claudielucky
New Contributor

Hi guys! The problems seems to be happening again. After any attemps last week and today, it seems to troubleshoot (it specifically writes ''Duplication failed''). Is someone else experiencing the same thing?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @claudielucky , I'm sorry you're experiencing this. Can you share a bit more about on what stories you are getting this error? Is this happening on both published and draft stories, or is this happening with other content types (like collections, themes, or briefings)? Thanks for any information on your workflow that you can provide!

--Abby

0 Kudos
claudielucky
New Contributor

Hi @AbbyE_Esri !

It is indeed happening with on both published and draft stories. I haven't tried other content types.

I tried simplifying the story I want to duplicate (the first version was pretty heavy and hard to load), it did not help.

If the bug can't be resolved soon, I'm thinking about trying to create a new story and drag the lateral panel I want to isolate in the new story. Do you think it could work?

0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @claudielucky ,

I do think trying to create a brand new story may be a good next step. A note that dragging content blocks between two stories/browser tabs won't transfer your content; you'll need to manually create that block in the new story.

At the minute, we aren't seeing all stories failing to duplicate on our end. If you try to create a new story with minimal content and are still unable to duplicate, I would recommend reaching out to Esri Technical Support. They'd be able to assist in additional troubleshooting and obtaining more information on your specific workflow and reproducibility steps. We don't want your duplication failing across all stories in your account or organization!

--Abby

0 Kudos
DebGauthier
New Contributor

I can duplicate a story, make edits, and change all titles, summaries, and descriptions.  I can publish the story.  However, when I open the story in a browser, the tab says (Copy).  It's annoying and unprofessional.  Please advise!  Thank you!

0 Kudos